California Supreme Court blocks ballot measure to divide state into three

This won’t do it. It will have to be a measure the majority wants to be removed from the ballot.

On what legal basis did that court do this?

Couldn’t bother to actually read the findings of the court before declaring the decision invalid? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I read the article, was I supposed to read something else?

Well why on Earth would they need to file in a Federal court if it’s not a Federal question? Make up your mind, will you? :laughing:

I usually go read the actual decision…

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/dockets.cfm?dist=0&doc_id=2256486&doc_no=S249859&request_token=NiIwLSIkXkw4WyAtSSFdSE5JQFA0UDxTJyBOJz9RICAgCg%3D%3D

Cool. So you can answer the question. Thanks in advance.

All this has ever been about, for people outside California, is winning one election every 4 years. And swinging some seats in Congress.

So it was people outside California who were behind this State measure? I hadn’t heard that one.

Funny that we will fight all over the world for the rights of people to self determination.

But if it’s within out own country? Nope, nuh uh, can’t do it.

Yea I think so, unless Moscow is a city in CA. This movement was originally started as CalExit movement and started by Marinelli a person who lives in Moscow. CalExit split up a bit ago and this movement started.

I wonder why Moscow wants CA split, or just overall strategy to cause discord in the US.

The California Constitution (you know, the state of California’s foundation document for the people of California) outlines the steps for state propositions. As the California Supreme Court stated in their opinion:

Because significant questions have been raised regarding the proposition’s validity, and because we conclude that the potential harm in permitting the measure to remain on the ballot outweighs the potential harm in delaying the proposition to a future election, respondent Alex Padilla, as Secretary of State of the State of California, is directed to refrain from placing Proposition 9 on the November 6, 2018, ballot.

The California Supreme Court is empowered to decide these questions by the California constitution. I suspect your argument has less to do with self determination than with a nefarious intent.

The chances of California splitting into three states are close to zero…

Why do all of you people who don’t live in California care about this. Mind your own business. You don’t see Californians giving their opinions about the affairs of other states.

1 Like

Not for me.

Go do your Texan things. Californians are talking.

The Californian judiciary is the bedrock of the state.

Sounds like Marinelli didn’t go to Moscow until AFTER the movement already started…

:rofl: Keep talking and I’ll ride over there and set things straight.

So if the constitution says that people don’t have the right to self govern, you think they can’t.

Like I said. We, as a nation, fight all over the planet to free people from others that think like that. But for some reason here within our borders it’s just ho hum, they can’t do that.

That last sentence is a ironic joke…right?