California Supreme Court blocks ballot measure to divide state into three

This isn’t even a topic in CA, just like some weird right wing fan fiction.

Self determination for everyone! Except Americans!

They self-determine every time they vote. They don’t get to risk the entire union just because they can’t handle being a minority in a certain state. Nevada is next door so they can self-determine themselves right over there.

1 Like

An extra 4 liberal votes in the Senate, and you’re against that?

Wonders never cease.

Ahem

US Constitution Article IV Section 3 paragraph 1

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Ahem…Early morning reading comprehension problem? Did you actually read that paragraph? Has the California legislature consented to splitting California? Did I miss some big news?

Should those that are for California to be divided into multiple states be denied by an unelected institution and not even have the opportunity to go before Congress?

The process for petitioning the legislature is outlined in the California constitution. The California Supreme Court is the ultimate authority for ruling on questions of California law. Whining and appealing to your sense of outrage is not how legal questions are resolved.

Does the California constitution conflict with the Constitution regarding this?

Oh good lord, go read a civic textbook…

It’s not that important to me. I have more pressing matters to contend with. I just find it hard to believe that citizens can not have the opportunity to go before elected officials to consider their idea of another state?

If a nominee is confirmed to fill a vacancy that arose partway through a judicial term, the justice must stand for retention during the next gubernatorial election. Voters then determine whether to retain the justice for the remainder of the judicial term. At the term’s conclusion, justices must again undergo a statewide retention election for a full 12-year term.[8] If a majority votes “no,” the seat becomes vacant and may be filled by the Governor.

Sure they do. Self determination is the right of all people.

Hell we sent 400,000 people to their deaths in World War II over that very thing.

But let our own people even discuss it and it’s the coming of the apocalypse.

It can be appealed to SCOTUS. Chances of SCOTUS taking case. 0%

Allan

That’s what I think. They’ll refuse it on the same grounds that they did with the PA redistricting.

Exactly. No federal question.

Allan

State splitting is regarded in that fashion because it is 100% apocalyptic for the country and shouldn’t be entertained.

Why do some disgruntled Californians deserve 2 brand new senators? Can’t Californians just move to Wyoming and accomplish the same thing? Those are practically free senators for any political cause that can fill a small stadium.

It’s not like these Californians don’t have any voice. They are heard during the election and they lose.

Did they not follow it?

Why can’t you just move to Norway?

Thank you.