Breaking: George H.W. Bush has passed away

He was a good and kind man that could not survive “politically” for the GOP sin of putting country before party, it makes me incredibly sad to reflect on his life and service and see the stark contrast it has with our current leadership.

I left Rush when he called Chelsea Clinton the WH dog on his TV show. I had no use for the Clintons, but Chelsea was a little kid then- 9 or 10 years old.

see ya later big guy

we’ll catch up to you

I did, too. Bush was my first presidential vote (in 92).

A lot of slacking X-ers around here . . .

1 Like

Yeah. Same here.

I’ll see if I can find it on a Netflix when I get home.

Add me to that list, as well. And slacking X-er…yeah perfect description of me, actually.

I wonder if Ross Perot has commented on Bush’s passing.
Perot despised Bush because as VP he opposed Perot’s POW/MIA efforts.
Perot ran for president in 1992 to try to deny Bush a second term.

Maybe the more interesting point is that there a lot of people here who were Republicans/political conservatives in their youth, but stopped identifying that way or holding that that ideology (such as it is) a long, long time ago. :slight_smile:

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

Why change the ideology…when it is what it was supposed to be. In a lot of respects Bush/Quayle espoused a great deal of what Conservatism was supposed to be.

Good piece on 41.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/the-virtues-of-a-public-spirited-patrician/2018/12/01/41bc3292-f57b-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html?__twitter_impression=true

Keeping to his values even though it cost him the election.

Godspeed, my man!

Bush’s letter to Clinton was the epitome of graciousness and class. Bush letter to Clinton

5 Likes

i would like to know as well

Same.

10char

total class

anyone have Bill’s letter to GW’s son?

Curious

i voted for perot. my first vote

i do regret it

1 Like

January 20, 2001

Dear George,

Today you embark on the greatest venture, with the greatest honor, that can come to an American citizen.

Like me, you are especially fortunate to lead our country in a time of profound and largely positive change, when old questions, not just about the role of government, but about the very nature of our nation, must be answered anew.

You lead a proud, decent, good people. And from this day you are President of all of us. I salute you and wish you success and much happiness.

The burdens you now shoulder are great but often exaggerated. The sheer joy of doing what you believe is right is inexpressible.

My prayers are with you and your family. Godspeed.

Sincerely, Bill

I did as well and also regretted it