Break out the bribes, it’s election time again!

A cheaper school, a cheaper degree, a two-year school, and studying abroad come to mind. One of the reasons college has gotten so expensive is that so many people are willing to take out burdensome loans to pay for it. Canceling those debts does nothing to solve the fundamental problem.

2 Likes

Or as we have, a fund set up at an early age to be used for college expenses. I do get some parents either can’t do that or don’t do that, but to whine they had no choice and now the rest of us should forgive it and pay for it in the end is ■■■■■■■■■

3 Likes

Oh yeah, there’s that. Vocational schools with two year programs - some of these jobs pay A LOT of money and almost nobody wants to do them.

That’s what Mike Rowe keeps talking about.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am pretty sure that’s not true.

1 Like

It’s understandable if you didn’t notice.

If your loans are eligible, we automatically paused your loan payments and set your interest rate to 0% starting March 13, 2020. This payment pause, also known as the administrative forbearance, will end Aug. 31, 2022.

https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/covid-19/payment-pause-zero-interest

You will.

You think inflation is bad now?

1 Like

Yes I know, they were paused, of course.

But how do you know that 100 % of debtors stopped paying down their loan ? I bet many did not.

1 Like

There are people who are trying to make payments. They are looking ahead when this ends.

To say not a single person has made a payment is false.

3 Likes

…and you would be correct.

This is a dumb nit to pick if you’re actually interested in discussing the issue.

Don’t make ■■■■ up and people won’t call you on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for your contribution.

Yeah! They didn’t know what they were getting into! It’s not their fault!

Can I get a stimmy since I already paid for two degrees?

2 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for your contribution as well.

1 Like

If you pay taxes, then some of your tax money would be used to pay off the loans of college grads.

4 Likes

So, given that loan repayments have been paused, seemingly without consequences for two years, what’s the harm in extending the pause forever?

I read somewhere $19,000 per but I’m not sure where and I didn’t dig into it at the time, so not sure how accurate or methodology they used.

It’s not going to be a freebie for the taxpayer however, that is for sure.

Has it been used since the pause started?

Well, with loan repayments being paused , obviously many were still making payments and revenue was being collected.

If you’re cancelling the debt altogether, that revenue will have to be made up by taxpayer money - many of whom either paid for their college or never went to college themselves. Doesn’t sound fair.

3 Likes