Black Lives Matter and the lies of police shooting unarmed black persons

I feel your pain.

No way! Not possible. Empathy.

Your posts seem to indicate something is amiss.

More so than the usual.

You ok?

How exactly does one get pulled over for “being black” when the officer most likely can’t see the driver from behind?

Besides the anectdotal evidence I have from literally every black or brown person I have discussed this with…the evidence is overwhelming by various studies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/07/17/what-data-on-20-million-traffic-stops-can-tell-us-about-driving-while-black/?utm_term=.86791cade5c7

We found that, compared to their share in the population, blacks are almost twice as likely to be pulled over as whites — even though whites drive more on average, by the way. We also discovered that blacks are more likely to be searched following a stop. Just by getting in a car, a black driver has about twice the odds of being pulled over, and about four times the odds of being searched. Hispanic drivers, overall, are no more likely than whites to be pulled over, but much more likely to be searched.

These racial disparities are particularly pronounced among men rather than women, and younger men rather than older ones. So the numbers certainly validate the idea that young black and Hispanic men are commonly viewed as suspects, not as citizens, by the police.

We start by analyzing the rates at which police stop motorists in locations across the country, relative to the driving age population in those areas. The data show that officers generally stop black drivers at higher rates than white drivers, and stop Hispanic drivers at similar or lower rates than whites. These broad patterns persist after controlling for the drivers’ age and gender.

After accounting for age, gender, and location, we find that officers ticket, search, and arrest black and Hispanic drivers more often than whites. For example, when pulled over for speeding, black drivers are 20% more likely to get a ticket (rather than a warning) than white drivers, and Hispanic drivers are 30% more likely to be ticketed than white drivers. Black and Hispanic motorists are about twice as likely to be searched compared to white drivers.

More links here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blacks+pulled+over+more+tha+n+whites&oq=blacks+pulled+over+more+tha+n+whites&aqs=chrome..69i57.7831j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Barring the windows being tinted it’s not hard if the officer is beside them on a dual motorway. Not only that there is stereotyping. The only time I was unfairly pulled over was when I had my Town Car. The assumption is young black guy in a Crown Vic/Town Car equals drug dealer. After I started driving my Celica I was never pulled over again when I didn’t deserve to be.

Der trumpengroper and his entire cadre of advisors kind of demonstrates that loud and clear among other things.

Throwing out traffic stop stats merely based on race without context leads to a lot of false conclusions. Police patrol where crime is at and crime is far far higher in poor black neighborhoods than white neighborhoods. Murder, robberies, gang violence, and drug dealing are all much higher in black neighborhoods. So naturally your going to see a lot of traffic stops in those areas relative to other neighborhoods.

As to reasons why blacks get ticketed more on a national level. One of the major causal factors of the higher crime in black neighborhoods is poverty and one of the leading reasons for cars without insurance and obvious equipment violations is also poverty. This will lead to more tickets which often go unpaid and then lead to suspended driver’s licenses which leads to more tickets. Etc. It becomes a vicious circle that many can’t get out of.

And as to white people having higher rates of contraband. Its called racial profiling. If you see a white guy driving in a black neighborhood and he isn’t driving a service vehicle you have high odds that he’s there to get drugs whereas if you see a black person driving its just like most other cars in the area. So naturally police will watch they white guy and try to stop him since its a higher likelihood of drugs. Especially if they are under some sort of racial tracking decree where you get in trouble if you don’t make enough arrests on white people.

“One of the major casual factors of higher crime in black neighborhoods is poverty”

From my experience, these neighborhoods tend to have access, if nothing else, to bus service. IMO one of the causes of poverty is an inability to prioritize expenses, like perhaps if not making ends meet, maybe instead of buying a car, use mass transit. Neither a motor vehicle nor driver’s license is an entitlement.

Re white peoples in black neighborhoods, they aren’t always there for drugs. Some are lower income residents of those neighborhoods.

Others are part of interracial families which maybe neither parent was married, or the relationship ended in divorce, & the white parent is there to either pick up or drop off a child with the black parent.

Happened to a second shift supervisor once. Lady was giving her adult daughter a ride to visit her father, & once the daughter was with dad, she got the 9th degree from police.

What are you doing here at all? At this hour? What do you do for a living? She finally was sent on her way, but really the whole traffic stop was ridiculous.

“Especially if you get some sort of racial tracking decree” Do police departments set these? Have quotas? This is the first time I’ve heard of this.

The best predictor of being poor is being born to poor parents.

1 Like

In this country, being born poor is not a life sentence. The reasons for perpetual poverty are far more complex than that.

1 Like

Nothing he said contradicts what you said. While being poor isnt a life sentence, it is correct that the vast majority of people who are perpetually poor came from poor families.

We all need to stop acting like because one person got out, its as simple as that at all people.

Its not. Its, as you said, more complicated than that.

Yes … it IS much more complex than that. Most of the things that hold a person born into poverty down are social, not economic.

1 Like

You can take any city anywhere in the United States and do a chart showing the poor sections of town. Now you can do a chart showing the high crime sections of town. They will be basically the same chart. This will be true regardless of race even in towns without minorities.

Now you can do a chart in these same towns where there are significant minority populations and you’ll again find a similar chart with the high minority areas being the same as the crime and poverty areas. To be clear I believe race is a correlative factor of poverty rather than causal.

There are many racist socioeconomic reasons going back to slavery as to why many blacks are trapped in a cycle of generational poverty. The cycle of poverty that passes on from generation to generation is a real thing and its hard to escape. Add to that a culture in the black community of eternal victimhood and one that glorifies violence and you have the powder keg that exists in minority communities and helps explain the astronomic crime rates there relative to their percentage of the population. Black males despite being 7% of the population commit 50% of the murders and 60% of the armed robberies.

There is no quick solution but its going to require honest dialogue on all sides. Unfortunately the vocal leaders on all sides have no interest in dialogue or honesty.

1 Like

Abner Louima?

I believe he was Haitian.