Black actor beaten and almost lynched by mask wearing thugs

From the article you referenced: “Hoaxes are not tracked formally, but the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, said that of an estimated 21,000 hate crime cases between 2016 and 2018, fewer than 50 reports were found to be false. The center believes that less than 1 percent of all reported hate crimes are false.”

"Wilfred Reilly, an associate professor of political science at Kentucky State University in Frankfort who has studied fake hate crimes, wrote that the fact that Smollett’s case is being alleged a hoax “shouldn’t surprise anyone.”

Reiley didn’t mention the Joly case but made the case in an opinion piece for USA Today and a book “Hate Crime Hoax: How the Left is Selling a Fake Race War,” that “a great many hate crime stories turn out to be hoaxes.”

vs.

The professor said he found more than 400 confirmed hate hoaxes, and he concluded that “what hate hoaxers actually do is worsen generally good race relations, and distract attention from real problems.”

Apparently someone isn’t isn’t looking very hard.

No. They have already stated that the attack was a fact in the headline. The next sentence is speculating on motives.

The numbers say the much more important issue is hate crimes, not something that rarely happened. This reminds me of the noise over voter fraud that rarely happens.

Most certainly the “reliance” employed was wrong. Media, politicians, entertainment complex, pundits alike pumped that story as FACT. No vetting. No verification. Just “reliance” on the bucketful of assertions.

This thread is a microcosm of the whole “reliance” that far too many people used. In fact, people who early on expressed doubt were maligned for doubting. In this thread and society in general.

It was horribly wrong. No amount of revision now can change that.

Headlines are not the story.

You’ve been abandoned by the rest of libdom in this hole you are digging in this thread.

So an individual with an opinion bothers you? Unlike some people, liberals aren’t getting their talking points from TV and radio. And I speak for me. I always have.

In this day of social media, libdom swallowed the whole spittoon of this story and attempted to smear conservatism with glee.

Now that the truth has barfed up from lidbom’s bellyful of this mess, the only hope libbery has for clearing the dung from its clothes is to pretend that something else actually happened when the story broke.

Smarter libs are running away from this. Some, however, choose to dig in their heels it seems.

So … (insert something I didn’t say…)

Man, I’m trying to help you here.

Your veiled put down doesn’t work

All crimes are a sore on America, why single out and hype so-called hate crime? Political correctness invented hate crimes; now political correctness is reaping what it sowed.

Now, you’re just arguing. You know you are wrong.

Political correctness invented hate crimes? Ludicrous.

Apparent does NOT mean alleged, it means “looks to be.” And read closer … it says “apparent homophobic attack.” What it describes as apparent is the motive for the attack, that being homophobia. However, it takes Smollet’s claim (the headline) as the truth without question.

It wouldn’t have said apparent if it was taking the claim without question.

You probably don’t even believe political correctness is real.

Again …

Apparent does NOT mean alleged.

“Apparently” was a hedge.

Your “Real Journalists” are the one’s who jumped to a conclusion without facts just like they did in the Catholic HS Boys/Indian debacle, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and numerous other cases all of which you swallowed hook, line, and sinker as “true”.

Of course when the facts came out in each of them they proved to be false just like this case.

Definition of apparent

1 : open to view : VISIBLEThe changes were readily apparent.

2 : clear or manifest to the understandingfor reasons that are apparent

3 : appearing as actual to the eye or mindwas in apparent danger

4 : manifest to the senses or mind as real or true on the basis of evidence that may or may not be factually valid

Seriously, have you even taken a Freshman Journalism class?