Bill Maher questions our U.S Senate system

The point is that the Senate isn’t constructed to be a “majority” rule legislative body, that is the House.

The Senate is where the minority gets adequate representation.

If the liberals want to regain control of the Senate, they should come up with a way to sell their vision to people, not try to change the rules.

Leave that to Republicans.

1 Like

PurpnGold asked “What did the founders know about having a state that was 70x larger than another?”

I simply showed that the founders in Rhode Island and Virginia knew the difference in state size

Got ya.

I should have been clearer…

I was talking about population size.

How senators are selected and the fact that there are two per state is not the problem. It is however unfortunate that the Senate is not the serious and deliberative body the founders envisioned.

The problem is our current political environment where comprise is not acceptable and where we can’t even agree on something so basic as what facts/truths are.

2 Likes

I don’t really think anyone will take this up as a valid policy stance. It’s just fun conversation.

Yeah… I understand.

Still a little fun to talk about while brewing beer this morning.

Umm exactly?

The founders clearly understood why it was important to give smaller states power, but I don’t believe they realized how many smaller states there would be 200 years later.

If the House and Senate had equal powers, there would not be as big of a problem. But with the ability to vote on judges, the Senate is superior in power.

It appears that larger states are now being rolled over by smaller ones. At what point will they say enough is enough?

Well those are some horrifying numbers. Especially when theoretically 30% of the people have a veto proof majority over the remaining 70%. At that point, we don’t actually have a government worth keeping.

“Power hungry turtle”. Rotfl

2024 is only 5 short years away.

Twenty times, population Georgia 1770, 23k, Virginia 440k

Why was it unfair back at the founding to have the small states have as much say as the larger states, yet its unfair today?

Please be specific. Please and thank you.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was unfair in 1789.

The shrinking minority should stop trying to change the rules and play the game.

Equal suffrage in the Senate is the only part of the Constitution that cannot be amended according to Article V, except with a states permission.

1 Like

Exactly why this is just fun conversation. The Senate rules will never change.

At some point, the bigger states are going to have to start working together on such things as creating an interstate healthcare system for only the residents of those states, protecting women’s reproductive rights, and other important issues. It’s just going to be impossible to get anything done on a national level.

As long as we have our constitution, but nothing lasts forever.