Bill Maher questions our U.S Senate system

and what else we need is a balanced, truthful press

Focus… what did they know about that?

i was saving that for my next point! the exact two states too. hmph

a lot

there already were states with big differences in population in their time

tell us more how they did not design the constitution to account for present day conditions

like, how could they know about AR’s, huh?

Coke or Pepsi?

I don’t understand your question. I’m talking about Wyoming.

How big?

you asked if the founders knew about one state being 70 times greater than the other… they obviously did…

big enough

Population of VA in 1790 - 691,937

Population of Rhode Island in 1790 - 68,825

This didn’t address my question though.

I understand why it was necessary during the ratification of the constitution. But the original purpose was for the states to appoint their senators. However today the people elect them. So there is an illusion that they should represent the population and not the state.

I also have a problem with saying imaginary lines have representation. But I digress. It will never change… ever… so this is just fun conversation.

I’d turn my focus to the house.

Yes, even though there is direct election of the Senate, there is an expectation that they represent the constituents of the State.

I think that the power balance is important in order to keep representation of the smaller population States engaged in the Republic.

If the Senate is also represented by population then those States will have zero to say for the direction of the country.

And I say this not agreeing with most of their policy.

You both have a problem getting to the point. Luckily someone worked google for you.

So 10x. The distance between that and 70x is massive.

I think that the point is that the founders were well aware of large population differences between States back in the late 1700’s.

2 Likes

They were also “aware” of a printing press and guns. Doesn’t mean they understood how a significant increase in scale and technology would change both.

I’d say the same is true with the ridiculous population differences between many states.

Either take away direct voting or change the senate to be more representative of the population.

RI - 1545 square miles
VA (currently) - 42774 square miles
VA in 1776 (included that lands of KY and WV) 107412 square miles (69.522 times as big)

Congress represents people, not land.

This issue will be talked about more and more in the future as people continue to move from smaller states to larger states.

According to the New York Times, “By 2040, according to an analysis of Census Bureau data by the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service at the University of Virginia, half the population will live in eight states, with eight other statesrepresenting the next 20 percent of the population. The remaining 34 states will hold 30 percent of the population. In the Senate, this would give them 68 seats. Over all, half the country’s population would control 84 of the 100 seats in the chamber.”

If there is any issue that could split our country into two in the future, it’s this one.

Oh… I agree with that last bit there.

There is nothing worse for a democracy than having the minority control everything for an extended period of time to the detriment of the majority.

I’ve seen it happen historically, not so much lately.

1 Like

thats not a good analogy. they also knew the moon existed but couldnt foresee how wevwould ever get there. so what

they know there were challenges in equal representation based on huge disparities in population. they did what was best to address it.

just because the political winds arent blowing in the favor of democrats is not a reason for them to start questioning it.