Biden's Stimulus Package

Try your hand at soba yet?

Not yet. Buckwheat isn’t my favorite.

How many hours is $2000 divided by $7.42? How many dollars is $7.42/hr times 172 hrs per month? How many months of steady employment at that pay rate would net $2000?

They’ll find a way to price it to sell. They always do. Back in 1984 I dated a girl that worked at ShopRite. She made 12.50 an hour as a cashier. Back then they had like 15 lanes open all day long except for midnights. Food was priced to sell. It’s priced accordingly now as well, despite having a fraction of the labor costs.

Can you imagine someone working at Dunkin’ Donuts making close to 50k a year? What would their supervisor make?

$50k. Management would not be able to afford to give them a raise.

By then I’ll be making soba noodles like @zantax suggested. lol

I have a very hard time believing that she was merely a cashier. I’d bet she was a supervisor who also worked the register at times.

then get a better job. not my problem

Heh, yeah, it really is.

No, she was not a supervisor. I could have been wrong on the year. Might have been 1983. But it was one of those two years. I know how much ShopRite paid. It was 9.50 for part time and 12.50 for full time. She never made it to supervisor. But she was one of the last few that got full time. Don’t forget, that was still when cashiers had to type in every price. Those scanners pretty much started the downfall of the cashier getting high pay. The pay scale was altered for new hires before exiting the 80s if I remember correctly.

One thing I remember was how fast they were. Not as fast as a scanner of course, but easily half speed. They were like lightning on the keypad while looking at prices. One hand acting independently from the other and the eyes. I don’t know this for sure, but I’m guessing a new person would probably need some training first. Lines were long with experienced cashiers.

I remember my mother being dropped off and telling my father to be back in 4 hours. That’s how long it took for her to shop and get through the line.

I had an Aunt that worked there in that time frame and that pay sounds right, they were unionized. Of course, if they tried to pay the equivalent today, people would buy from Amazon instead because they would have to raise prices above the cost of Amazon shipping.

Yes of course they were union. At that pay that goes without saying. But it didn’t last into the 90s if I’m not mistaken.

I remember I knew DOS like the back of my hand. When I was job hunting in 1987 I put in for several jobs. Two contacted me. A starting position at New Jersey Bell for 10 bucks an hour, or a job at Western Electric or AT&T technologies, I forget, but it paid around 40k a year for a DOS tech. I chose New Jersey bell because it was union. It was more secure as well. That job still exists to this day. The DOS job? As soon as Win95 came out the writing was on the wall. You’re being replaced. I don’t even think those companies exist anymore.

They couldn’t pay those prices today. I have a point of reference. UPS in 1985 paid their brown truck drivers 14 an hour and semi drivers 16 an hour. I think they’re in the mid 30s right now. But they all have CDLs and a good union. No way a cashier is getting 35 bucks an hour.

no, its really not

No, they average $11 an hour now according to data I found in regards to Shoprite specifically.

Minimum wage in 1983 was $3.35/hour.

Yeah I know. I worked for minimum wage for about a month. I think minimum wage in NJ now is 12.

In the first order, Mr. Biden asks the U.S. Department of Agriculture to allow states to increase Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits — commonly known as food stamps — by 15%. Congress recently passed a $1 trillion relief bill that boosted the maximum SNAP benefit by 15%, but that did not help the 40% of SNAP recipients who were already at the maximum benefit. Mr. Biden’s order tells the USDA to “consider issuing new guidance that would allow states to increase SNAP emergency allotments for those who need it most,” according to a fact sheet provided by the White House, which would mean that an additional 12 million people get enhanced benefits.

I hope Biden can quickly turn the USDA in a positive direction regarding SNAP.

Weimar? never happen here… no …

1 Like

American-made green. I hope the new postal LLVs come with the option of electric power as well.