Biden's history of anti-busing explained

The emancipation proclamation pissed people off. Giving black people the right to vote pissed people off. Giving women the right to vote pissed people off. Outlawing lynching pissed people off. The fair housing act pissed people off. What is your point?

Those were legal and political questions that had to be settled. The state has an obligation to view every citizen the same without regards to their status.

Busing was foolish because they were attempting to settle the social question. That is much more difficult. And it wasn’t even a decade after the issues of the 60s. So of course parents were simply going to pack up and move their kids or send them to private schools. It accomplished nothing and simply bred resentment.

The money spent on that ordeal would have been better served increasing funding for schools in black majority areas.

I actually agreed with Biden back then…and still do now.

Goverment can’t force social change…people have tendency of pushing back against authoritarians.

1 Like

Funny that…first 2 conservative leaning posters to his thread proves how wrong you are. :rofl:

It breeds reactionary movements. The opposition to busing was well organized. And I don’t blame them. If I’m paying property taxes in a certain locale so that my kid can go to a good school why on earth would I accept the state forcing me to send him or her 15 miles further away to an underfunded school. For equality? No, people are just going to pack up and leave en masse or simply send their kids to private academies.

1 Like

Exactly. For every action there is a reaction and unintended consequences.

A lot of people confuse racism with culturism, the latter being much more powerful.

1 Like

Lynching was always illegal.

Really good post.

Is the social question racial or cultural?

In some cases racial and in others cultural.

I think with a lot of whites it’s not so much racial animosity as it is fundamental misunderstandings about black America.

Black culture is hardly unified. There are regional differences and economic differences. Middle class blacks for example share a lot in common with middle class whites from a cultural standpoint. Rural blacks and rural whites also have a lot of shared cultural traits.

But the popular representation of black people is a group driven by urban violence, even though only a small portion of black America lives under those conditions. The media doesn’t help matters. And whites often don’t take the time to parse the different aspects of black America. They simply believe what is shown on the nightly news.

And the same goes for blacks in relation to whites. All too often black people assume that every white person they meet is a racist or bigot.

There are a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings between the two groups. Which is why I think self segregation is still so common. There are still distinct cultural differences that factor in, though. Black Christians have a unique form of worship ceremony that isn’t shared by most white congregations.

I go to a black church from time to time, although not lately. Mostly when I need some old time religion.

The same things you said are true of all races. My church is nothing like the 1st Baptist in town, that’s why it’s my church (for example).

My belief is that the vast majority of what is attributed to racism is actually culture differences.

I was in an airport last week. Saw an old Mexican man traveling and his son or grandson helping him. The old man had on his best clothes, shoes shined, fresh haircut and shave. I understood him immediately. I have more in common with him than I do a NYC yankee.

Biden has a better position on this topic. IMO Kamala is trying to play the race card in order to gain political advantage.

I find that disgusting to be honest.

That’s the dirty secret so to speak. In order to win the Democratic nomination, you have to win over the black vote. Biden is ultra-popular with that community due to his relationship with Barack Obama. Harris made the attack in order to shrink his popularity. It doesn’t matter that she was never impacted by mandatory busing policies. All what she needed to say is “I am a victim” and poof, she scores points. It doesn’t matter if her charge was completely fictional.

Good thread.

I agree, Biden was right then and he is right now. He said, back then, that he found it racist to think that the only way a Black child could succeed is if they were sitting next to a white child.

Unfortunately that meant he had to side with some Southern Dems and Conservatives who viewed busing more on the “I don’t want my kid going to school with Black kids” crowd. Granted a lot of folks shared his views as well.

If I were Biden at that debate I would have said “Kamala, you are a brilliant woman, and the school you went to had little impact on that, you would have succeeded no matter where you went”.

The fact of the matter is, mandatory busing isn’t even a thing now, it obviously was a bad idea. Sure, Harris thinks she benefitted from it, and there are always going to be folks who benefit from bad policy, but that doesn’t make it good policy.

The recent tax cuts are an example, a budget buster that helps no one on the lower end of the scale, but to millionaires it is considered awesome policy.

Harris never actually benefitted from mandatory busing. Her school district had a volunteer busing system.

Harris better not run on the busing platform, it’s a loser issue. Parents do not want to their kids being shifted to schools outside their district for the sake of quotas.

Pamela Harris’s parents did, they volunteered to put her on a bus.

Because they did, she pulled the race card on Biden as an attack.
.^^^^

Great post.

The tax cut helped me.

Ouch.

1 Like

Except separate was not equal.

I just don’t understand the microscope on the Dem candidates. Why? There’s an occupant in the WH who has cheated contractors, cheated on his multiple wives, cheated his own workers, and has declared bankruptcies numerous times. And you worry about someone’s vote 20+ yrs ago? Give me a break.

Christ, people evolve. I’m not the same person I was 20+ yrs ago.