Biden's history of anti-busing explained

I tend to agree. Admittedly I don’t completely understand the concept of “busing,” (will look more in depth to it later on), but segregation is not the answer. We need to establish the belief that all races are socially equal, not separate, and this only complicates things.

I wish people could just accept others as human beings, regardless of how much melanin is in their skin/eyes/hair. Some people might argue that the races are indeed different because there are anatomical and physiological differences, but really, these are adaptions to their location and a part of their ancestry. It doesn’t and shouldn’t make them better or worse than most people.

I think the solution to ending the race war, that BOTH sides keep perpetuating, is to have more community enrichment programs in impoverished areas, more youth outreach programs. This will help distill the belief that someone can’t do well in xyz area because they are Black/Latino. Not grant minority races special privileges and be put on a pedestal simply because they are of a minority status, which is what the Democrats are doing, I think. Yes, there is a problem with racism, but that is not the way to go about solving it. It further perpetuates the idea that “You can’t be my friend/understand me, because you are not like me” which couldn’t be further from the truth. People don’t have to be like you to have empathy or sympathy for you. The apologizing for being white also needs to stop.

/steps off soap box

They will take a kid from their neighborhoods school district and make them go to a school outside the district in the name of equality. So if you worked your butt off and bought a home near a good school district in order for your child to attend there would be a chance they would be bussed off to a school in a poorer district and in some cases a very long bus ride.

Of course most people at that point put the middle finger up to the city and find a way to put their child into private school.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it led to a reactionary backlash led by white parents who simply moved their kids out of those districts and gave racist school system administrators a reason not fund to majority black schools.

For the most part it was a complete failure.

1 Like

Why am I not surprised. And Trump supporters here wonder why we dislike the man so much.

This post doesn’t match up well with your posts in another thread about housing prices. Just sayin’

Good post and good OP. No, Biden wasn’t wrong.

What you are calling segregated communities and churches is tribalism. It’s by choice. And there’s nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Yeah, we agree on another issue!

1 Like

That stupid busing ■■■■ was one of the most ■■■■■■ up policies in the history of this country.

1 Like

I am glad Harris brought it up in the debate. I know it was an attempt to scare black voters and interracial families, but it really shines on the fact that “busing” hurt our weakest among us.

I believe she has admitted she benefitted from busing?

Her school district had a successful busing program, but it wasn’t mandated by the Federal government. It had everything to do with population growth.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article232076402.html

Whaaaat! It wasn’t racism? Get out!

1 Like

LOL. Harris’ “smack down” of Biden rings less and less true every day.

Also, giving Biden 30 seconds to explain his viewpoint on busing was obviously unfair.

That was what happened to a couple of my cousins. They bused them to different high schools every year in Nashville.4 different high schools. My uncle got fed up and put the youngest into a private school.

Why not send them all to the neighborhood schools regardless of race?

That has been Biden’s point for a long time, but in the debates, he was seen as an evil man for holding that position.

Happened to my sisters 1st grader they were going to make her ride a bus to a school which was around 20 miles away and it would have been close to 1 and 1/2 hour drive each way. Her local school in her zone was 5 blocks away.

She put her in catholic school.

The neighborhoods weren’t remotely the same when it came to schools. And of course there was the kumbaya crowd.

Due to my background I find self segregation to be… Odd.

But I agree that there is nothing wrong with it from a legal or moral standpoint and it’s not the state’s business to attempt to change it.

That was the primary problem with busing. They were attempting to force social change.

All they got was a reactionary backlash. And black schools continued to be underfunded.

1 Like

Mmmmmm. And it continues to this day.

Yeah. It’s a fool’s enterprise.

Social change comes gradually, from the bottom to the top. I think that as interracial relationships and marriage get more common we will start seeing more fully integrated communities in the far future.

But that is a long time away. I’ll be dead before I see it and I’m only 29.

But forcing it only serves to piss people off.