Biden’s dogs at the WH

That’s exactly what an election is.

A popularity contest in 50 states and DC.

Trump popular in some states.

Biden popular in some states.

Biden states had more people living in it.

Allan

Yes I do. But I think my replies have been deleted because they are off topic. I have many, many recommendations. Please PM me if you want more info. My pleasure.

I love the breed. But keep that Swiffer handy.
But, while I have loved my string of shelter rescues, I think that President Trump was absolutely correct not to have a dog. He obviously didn’t think a dog fit into his lifestyle, and most of my rescues came to us because they were given up by somebody got a dog for the wrong reason, or had a change in lifestyle that didn’t accommodate the dog or, in a couple cases, just dumped the dog, left it to fend - fortunately, these were picked up by shelters. People who cannot fit a dog into their lifestyle shouldn’t get one. A dog is not a prop and not a photo op.

3 Likes

Thank you for one of the most, if not the most reasonable posts in this thread.

A dog is a living being that requires a time commitment and loving care. If an individual or family doesn’t want a dog, or doesn’t have or want to make the time commitment, he/she/they shouldn’t get one.

2 Likes

Isn’t it great so many Americans have such priorities as diversity in the administration, helping the <1% of transgender Americans and whether or not the guy has a dog?

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

This is isn’t a political thread.

It’s a dog thread.

Allan

[quote=“biggestal99, post:46, topic:238139, full:true”]

This is isn’t a political thread.

It’s a dog thread.

Allan
[/quote

Look at you all Mr. Mod…

I can ask people not to post politics in a non political thread.

Whether they heed my request is another question.

Allan

Did you miss the part about the guy having a dog? IMO such a consideration for whether or not someone should lead is frivolous.

I answered a question posed.

Allan

It’s commendable Biden chose a shelter to adopt. However, when it comes to animals getting euthanized or not adopted in no kill facilities, shelters are their own worst enemies.

Many have a laundry list of rejection criteria, including, but not limited to, such criteria as no fenced in yard or an indoor/outdoor arrangement in mind.

Some it’s those who come to look who are part of the problem—only interested in baby animals without having the time commitment to train them, unreasonable expectations for a pet, etc.

Check out the Yelp for the Northeast Animal Shelter in Salem, Massachusetts and read the reviews. And they’re probably the most reasonable one I’ve dealt with here.

Mantras like “Adopt Don’t Shop” make these places sound welcoming to look for a pet when many just aren’t.

We had two rescue cats (my most beloved puff see avatar went to the great litter box in the sky recently) both came from a no-kill shelter.

Sure they had restrictions and were very fussy. kitty needs a special lifetime diet (c/d) and puff didn’t like children. They wanted to make sure they had a good home for life and they got it.

Allan

2 Likes

My condolences for the loss of Puff Puff. That’s difficult. I had a mop bucket for my tears when Anabel, my shelter kitty, passed away.

Not adopting to those leasing in no pet homes, or with family members who don’t want the pet, is one thing. Some animals can be with other animals and/or children and others can’t.

Some of what I’ve seen from local shelters, though—one refused to adopt to a wheelchair bound woman even though she demonstrated her capabilities with a dog, while another approved her, as just one example.

Then they’re upset ‘cause not a lot of their animals get rehomed. I may be taking an hour long trip back to Salem when ready for another cat.

I’m so sorry to hear that.

I had to put down my rescue dog (got her around age 5 and I had her for 8 years) a couple of weeks ago. I think it is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.

There is something about rescue animals, especially when they’ve come from an abusive environment, that makes them special. They remember and they know when they are safe and loved.

My condolences for the loss of your dog.

I think Anabel had good owners in a childless couple. They had no kids but frequently had guests who did & insisted she was great with them.

They were right. They gave her up because one had developed a health problem that wasn’t compatible with cat ownership.

She meowed at me & it was the beginning of 7 great years, ending when she was 13 from multiple illnesses.

Back at ya, Janet. :heart:

That’s fair. That is all the consideration your posts ever warrant. :wink:

I agree that some shelters have such prohibitive regulations that can be off-putting to a good potential adopter. I do wish that they would find some way to assist owners in obtaining pet insurance riders to the homeowner or renter policy - that might be helpful and educational to adopters who often don’t come up against this obstacle until after the fact.
As far as people opting for pups - do not pass on those “seniors.” We have never adopted a dog younger than 3, and the oldest was “ten or twelve or so” - a couple of them have probably been close to 80 in people years. Wonderful dogs. Love the one I’ve got, miss the ones who have crossed.

1 Like

I don’t like to rule out kittens as they’re at the beginning of life and need love and care.

Don’t know how to litter and otherwise train, though, so have opted for adult animals.

We both miss Anabel, but am looking around through petfinder & may try one of those direct adoption sites.