'Bible literacy' courses in some Kentucky schools are breaking the law, ACLU says

Even the 14th did not change anything in the regards to state promotion or establishment of religion until Lemon.

Christian Monks preserved much of science, literature, math during the dark ages. Not all Christians were against knowledge.

What does federal funding have to do with anything? The Constitution has always given authority to the central government to promote education. That has nothing to do with anything.

Just trying to be helpful. He was printing other things before he started making Bibles. That’s just a fact. Like latin textbooks. He was printing in 1450 but didn’t start doing Bibles till 1452. Just an FYI.

That is the beauty of the elective. If there is interest, any/all religions may be taught. Yes, including Wicca, or even Satanism. Is there a religion you don’t want taught? If so, why?

Teaching religion is quite different from teaching personal beliefs. The same can be said of history and political science.

Which nations force spirit down people’s throats? Keep in mind spirit is different from religion.

OK. I see. You are helpful. Wiki says that you are correct. I was mistaken.
The Latin was probably used in his mother’s recipes.

Ye

Promoting, no.
Teaching about, yes.

Taxpayer money should follow the educational choices of student/parent. Therefore, it a parent wants to send a child to private school, the tax money should follow the child, not vice-versa.

I am sorry about “some” parents who “lose their minds.” My youngest daughter’s high school English teacher was constantly bringing up Wicca and Wicca beliefs–she learned as much about Wicca as she did Language Arts. More power to a teacher who can do both. Plus, my Catholic daughter and I were able to have interesting discussions about the beliefs of others.

What I find both ironic and amusing is the idea we should promote school programs teaching students to say No to drugs and smoking even though by the time they graduate high school, there are students who are doing both. Everyone seems to agree teaching abstinence only doesn’t work. So why are people absolutely convinced that if religion is taught in school, religion will take over the land and will succeed in brainwashing all students–even those who could not be “brainwashed” into saying no to drugs, smoking, and sex?

I concur.
The post I responded to directly stated it was constitutional to promote Christianity, via state/local governments…

Think of education from the perspective of being relevant to the individual’s life. Religion is more relevant than Shakespeare for many.

So how much sex education should they get?

For those people who feel that way, religious schools are available.

That’s an excellent question.

Tax dollars should not be used to promote any religion. If the private school promotes one religion, tax dollars should not be made available to that private school.

Religion, is, basically brainwashing.

It starts at a very young age at home, and gets so ingrained in a child’s belief system, most continue to claim to be part of said religion as adults, even though they do not practice it, or actually know it. And they are too busy, or uninterested to find out why they call themselves Christians, or Jews, (insert any religion here).

Then why shouldn’t topics such as sex ed also be the purview of family and clergy and congregation?

Virtually everyone will want to, or have sex sometime in their lifetime.
Pretty much in our DNA.

Religion is a belief system. An option. Not an instinctual desire.

2 very different things.

I would want them all taught, but I don’t have faith they would all be taught equally.

I had a college philosophy teacher who told us that such statements often tell us more about the individual’s mind than the church, school, activity being accused. :wink: