'Bible literacy' courses in some Kentucky schools are breaking the law, ACLU says

Then you already have what you want. Religion is taught in school in both political and historical contexts. Just go look at most curricula for schools-it’s there.

That doesn’t align with your arguing the merit of having a religion class because:

Yes. We were taught that the Mass and religion classes were about encouraging us to do something. Our job was to discover what we were being encouraged to do, and how we were going to implement that teaching in our own life during the coming week.

First, it is not “crap.” It is how a complete education should work, so I intend to keep pushing.

And, it should be taught correctly, from a scholarly perspective. What was the intent of the original author? Who was he addressing and for what specific purpose. No, “Read it for yourself and decide what you think it means to you today.”

Because sex ed is science based.

They are taught. That’s why I know this legislation is a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Why are you conflating biology and religion? It’s not as if how you contract an STD depends on a particular set of beliefs.

Yes, as electives. However, just as our own educational system focuses on Western languages and culture, so should our focus be on similar matters.

That’s not really an argument for this thread. Completely different topic. And unfortunately, there just aren’t always private school anyway, but there are 3 churches for every 1 school, so choose accordingly. If you REALLY want them to get some religious study, get them in the LDS church, in which I grew up. In high school, we had a seminary class an hour before school started all year.

And? How is that relevant?

I don’t disagree, but my 10 years as a teacher have shown me more kids leave high school not doing drugs and smoking than those that do.

I personally find DARE to be a waste-that’s just stuff we should be teaching in health classes…the negative effects of various drugs, drinking, and smoking. I always thought DARE was stupid when in was in school, and as a teacher, my experience is that most kids treat is as time to get out of having to do actual classwork.

That’s certainly not what I’m arguing, but nice straw man.

Well, I was specifically talking about examples like the religion class in the OP-I don’t believe those have any place in public schools.

No one should have any problem finding a church in or near their town where they can get their kids the spiritual education they desire.

Yes, the Koran as the biggest source of war an slavery in history, but the west leads to the modern world through Christianity. The other religions are nice and should be taught but they are not the foundation of western thought like the bible.

Did we? There is progress, but there is also marching to some far worse disaster. In many ways, I do think separation of Church and State to be the better alternative. On the other hand, it may be a huge mistake to view it as a cure all.

Whose scholarly perspective? There are many.

That varies by denomination, religion, sect, etc. That’s the problem. There are a plethora of answers to the queries you want, which is why:

is the only correct way to address it. A

1 Like

Shouldn’t be–and doesn’t have to be.

World Religion class or its equivalent is a required course in most public schools. This ■■■■ is straight up Sunday school in public schools.

I honestly doubt this is gonna get far because for totally unrelated reasons, people under 40 just straight up aren’t very religious anymore.

That would be like insisting weather be kept separate from science, grammar from stories, etc. It cannot be done, therefore let’s intelligently manage the reality.

Well, it is. And I’m dealing with reality here.

Is that documented or anecdotal?

Not “how much” but rather, “Who from.” Keep in mind that currently public schools have sex education programs at all three levels: Elementary, middle school, and high school. How much more do we want from the public education system?