Bailout Joe to "forgive" insurance company of all costs of rebuilding the FSK bridge

This is fine.

1 Like

US News and World Report

U.S. President Joe Biden pledged that the federal government will pay the full cost to rebuild the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, one of the nation’s busiest arteries that collapsed hours earlier on Tuesday after being struck by a massive freight ship.

“It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge and I expect the Congress to support my effort," Biden said, speaking from the White House ahead of a trip to North Carolina.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-03-26/biden-says-federal-government-will-fund-baltimore-bridge-rebuild

News2 Baltimore

President Joe Biden held a briefing Tuesday addressing the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse, announcing the federal government would “pay for the entire cost” of reconstruction.

https://www.wmar2news.com/local/president-biden-says-federal-government-will-pay-full-cost-to-replace-the-bridge

Marketwatch

President Joe Biden vowed that the U.S. government would pay for the entire cost of rebuilding the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

https://www.marketwatch.com/livecoverage/baltimore-key-bridge-collapse-live-coverage-of-news-and-analysis/card/biden-vows-federal-government-will-pay-entire-cost-to-rebuild-bridge-nESwHramtYrLfqO4vLjf

Hmm those guys must be a bunch of Trump-loving MAGA neocons.
Not a single word about recouping expenses.
(Just like my post)

2 Likes

That’s what I heard, I listened to his news conference and all he said is the govt would pay for rebuilding. For those in here saying that insurance will repay, where are you getting this? Yes, I know how insurance works, I am asking where did Biden or anyone say that the insurance companies would repay the govt. Biden never said that nor anyone else as far as I know.

3 Likes

But you didn’t just post an “interesting tweet” for “discussion”.

You put a “spin” on it (Biden will “forgive” the insurance company(ies)…absent any evidence in the video or speech that this will actually happen).

It’s your spin that’s being debated against, not the mere fact you posted the story.

PS this spin was almost assuredly something you heard elsewhere too…long before you posted this, such spin was all over social media, coupled with the further spin that Biden was doing this so the “Deep State” could get to the scene and “cover up” any evidence of the “attack”.

2 Likes

Not only the jobs here but also 80% of imported vehicles if I remember correctly. I 100% agree with you here, get the channel cleared so goods can be delivered. I have zero issue with the govt fronting the cost to rebuild as long as they (we) get reimbursed by the insurance companies, ship owner, and ship manufacturers if it is shown to be a manufacturing issue.

Probably because there are very few people who care how it gets paid for just what is the government going to do to get the problem fixed.

1 Like

Well I DO care how it gets paid for, and so far nothing I have heard from Biden shows he will be going after the insurance to cover it. Yes, I assume they will, but, Biden saying what he did implies that the govt alone will foot the bill. Sounds like election year pandering for votes. If he had simply said that the govt will pay for rebuilding then go after the insurance and ship owners to reimburse, no problem.

3 Likes

I am sure there are plenty who do care. But they would be a minority. Also, the people who do care aren’t likely Biden voters anyway.

Pretty good chance he’d go after any American Insurance company to recoup money.
The insurer in this case is a British-led international group so who knows.

We might get some insight by observing how he has treated US vs non US companies in the past.

Good morning.

Here is the Bloomberg take on it (its form India times reposting of the Bloomberg article). Very interesting read.

The issue remains that rebuilding has to be much faster than litigation. The success of recoupment is clearly in question as well

Meanwhile the bridge needs to be rebuilt so it’s not a bailout it’s a lifeline to Baltimore

Not saying you said it was not. Just clearing up the weeds from last night :blush:

I don’t think care is the right word here

Everyone in this thread seemingly cares.

I want the government to get its money back too

1 Like

Here are his comments.

Q You said the federal government is also going to pay for the repairs. I’m just curious — this was a ship that appears to be at fault. Is there any reason to believe that the company behind the ship should be held responsible?

And then, also, you mentioned —

THE PRESIDENT: That could be, but we’re not going to wait if that happened. We’re going to pay for it to get the bridge rebuilt and open.

2 Likes

I heard this morning that it will likely take months to clear the debris and re-dredge the river and re-open the port.

Ugh.

Small concern compared to the loss of life. But this is going to hurt economically for some time.

Yes the government needs to be reimbursed and I doubt that Biden or any administration will let them off the hook. There is no upside politically to doing this.

So reading through the thread I have one or two thoughts to add to the discussion…

Yes clear the waterway and rebuild the bridge. Absolutely…

I do not know how this works but I would think it’s safe to assume the folks who own the ship and their insurance company are going to be the subject of multiple lawsuits as a result of this.

Can the feds place themselves at the front of the line for that money, I don’t know how all that works.

Here’s the other part of my thought.

We are 35 or so trillion dollars in debt…so I guess we just borrow some more to pay for all of this. I’m assuming the dept of transportation and any other department that has a roll in this has some kind of “rainy day fund” for emergencies? Or do they?

Situations like this one are why we as a nation really need to demand more accountability for the taxpayers money. We are flat broke and just incurred a major expense we really in reality have no ability to pay for…

7 Likes

It will be interesting to see if the insurance company makes demands on how the bridge will be rebuilt in order to provide a payout.

I mean it’s an interstate bridge. Makes sense the Feds would be involved in reconstruction.

1 Like

Will the taxpayers be getting reimbursed for the use of their money?
Or will this be financed with more money the goobermint does not have yet is spent driving up the unsustainable debt that has interest value greater than the Department of Defense’s entire budget?
Why would it take so long for an insurance underwriter to pay a claim? How long would a contractor have to wait to begin having invoices paid? 30, 60, 90 days?
BTW, Joe Potato Head is not authorized to pay for
Ka Ka without congressional authorization. OBiden (again) and his inept handlers fielded a toothless statement all in the spirit of yet another vote buying scheme.
Never let a crisis go to waste!
Fornicate thyself Lyin’ Joe

3 Likes

BS. OBiden making that “profound” statement is politics. A vote buying scheme at that. Prove me wrong.

1 Like

I think that 1) most voters won’t/don’t care who is going to pay for it and 2) if they do care, assumed the Government would pay for it anyway.

1 Like