Asylum and Economic Opportunity Poll

Is economic opportunity a valid reason to grant asylum? Meaning “I want a better life.” It is a valid reason to legally immigrate, but is it for granting asylum?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Criteria currently

Refugee status or asylum may be granted to people who have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

No…but I can’t blame em for wanting too.

I can’t hold that over their heads of wanting better opportunity. I would do the same if possible.

I know too many that came here over the years to dislike em for it.

Follow up poll:
Does giving economic opportunity away take away opportunity to citizens and legal immigrants?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I don’t either, hence legal immigration.

Exactly…and the left knows it but by doing nothing they can continue painting conservatives out to be racist. They’re using em as political pawns…and I find that to be real travesty IMO.

I voted no on second poll because if we have solid economy I would hope that those working are improving/climbing up the economic ladder.

But it all predicates on how our economy is doing.

Exactly. However, the asylum angle doesn’t work for that reasoning. If that is the reason for wanting to be here there is a legal immigration procedure that covers it.

Agreed. Covers it well.

Everybody who is granted asylum doesn’t start at the bottom of the ladder.

Is the demand for unskilled labor trending up or down with new technology?

Exactly. But that means getting our house in order and get applications moving.

It took about 5 years or more to get my nephew kids grandfather in from Colombia. First thing we did he get a job and enlisted him in England class…which he was attempting to do there before leaving.

I suspect up because with new technology the demand for consumers goods and service also goes up.

I believe this is one group losing economic opportunity, despite recent improvements:

45% in some cities.

I know, I’m going through it again.

I agree but immigrants aren’t going to Milwaukee. They’re going to place that are booming and have high tech industry…basically under the service sector.

As for Milwaukee we need to entice industry to move there.

The question is why haven’t "some’ high tech and software companies moved or started there business there?

Was that out of racism? Who made that decision and why?

Of course not. anyone wanting a better life (and that is their only reason for immigrating) should not be an asylum seeker.

Allan

So fleeing from persecution doesn’t count as wanting a better life?

Of course but on the asylum form, there is no “better life”
Category. Race, religion, nationality, torture convention, political opinion or membership in a social group. That’s it.

Allan

In Honduras there is a military dictatorship so I would be seeking asylum for that reason.

I ain’t gonna live in a place that is run by a dictator.

Allan

Why do you say there is a military dictatorship in Honduras?