Asylum and Economic Opportunity Poll

I don’t think living in a dictatorship would do it. You’d have to show the dictator was out to get you.

Rather small sample size.

Sorry Doug, you are wrong, one of the asylum categories is political opinion.

Allan

I think what Doug is pointing out is you won’t automatically be granted asylum just becuse you’re fleeing from a dictatorship.

All those who voted “yes” in the second poll…I take it you won’t be laughing at people for using zero sum economic arguments when discussing things like tax cuts anymore?

Amazing how quickly you’ll jump on the zero sum game bandwagon when the context of the argument changes.

1 Like

Taxes are my money. Yes, they are zero sum. Every dollar I pay in taxes is a dollar of my money out of my pocket

The poll was about economic opportunity.

And you’re wrong anyway, but thanks for playing.

I know, I wrote it. Feel free to explain.

It will go though the proper channels, of course but that’s what I would base my asylum claim.

Strongly held Political opinion is a good reason for asylum, a better life is not

Allan

Being persecuted for a strongly held political belief, I agree. Dissidents from communist countries were a good example.

Good. Now carefully read what I posted again.

I did. Political opinion is an option.

you dont necessarily have to be singled out (although it would help)

Allan

OK. I will help you with it then.

What I said:

“I don’t think living in a dictatorship would do it. You’d have to show the dictator was out to get you.”

Now, if you live in a dictatorship and have made no political statements and the dictator is not out to get you, then just because you are living in a dictatorship does not mean you have a right to asylum. That is the meaning of the first sentence.
‘’
Now the second sentence would cover your situation where you lived in a dictatorship and expressed your opposition to the dictator and then he singled you out to get you because of your political opinions. That would qualify for political asylum.

Just because you have a personal political opinion and dont like dictatorships or democracies or whatever, does not qualify for asylum. Someone has to be out to get you because of it.

Seeking a better life is a valid reason.

Just a reminfer. This is the title of this thread.

Asylum and Economic Opportunity Poll

Is a valid reason for someone who wants to be a U.S. citizen and does it the right way.

1 Like

Asking for asylum to avoid being brutally murdered by gangs or forcefully conscripted by them is the right way, as well.

Not the topic of this thread,

I does. How do you think the Cubans were granted blanket asylum once they made it to us soil.

Riddle me that Batman.

Allan

Political opinion.

I advise you to download form i589

One of the options

Is

Political opinion.

Allan