Are we headed toward another Gulf of Tonkin in the Black Sea?

if they don’t respond militarily as a defense for other ships within seconds, there would only be sanctions.
Biden… remember? The commander in chief is Biden.

I’m a nerd basically. Always had a fascination with nuclear war and its weaponry so I read a lot of books about everything to do with it.

Thing is, I don’t really know ■■■■■ There is so much classified stuff that it will be decades before we know about what the US military can really truly do if a war breaks out.

For all we know, there some new ABM system we may have that makes most Russian nuclear weapons obsolete.

1 Like

No way Russia’s nukes are obsolete, if they wanted to they could detonate them all in Russia without bothering to launch and the desired effect will still be achieved

True. Especially if they modified a few decent size ones and salted them with cobalt.

If they did that… wooh boy the world would suck.

That was a key part of Dr. Stangelove. The Soviets built the ultimate deterrent; cobalt salted thermonuclear weapons, built underground. But the key was a complete absence of human control. The system was completely automated and in times of strife it would be activated. Any potential nuclear detonations picked up by seismometers, bam. World over.

The real kicker was that the Soviets never said anything about it in the movie. Which makes one question the value of a deterrent no one knows about. Probably would have made that nutcase Air Force general rethink his decisions had he known what they had planned in response.

My uninformed opinion.

We won’t use our ICBMs or any other strategic nukes if someone takes out one of our ships. Such weapons are there basically for MAD. But what the warheads are that retaliate against the weapons that take out one of our ships? Could be other than conventional. So if an aircraft takes out a ship, the entire airfield or carrier that launched that aircraft might be targeted. Our conventional weapons would be sufficient to do that.

1 Like

I would expect both sides to initially refrain from using strategic nuclear forces.

But the Russian military has so many glaring holes in its structure that I think they would get desperate really, really fast. Conventionally speaking, there is no contest between the US Navy and Russian Navy. They’re basically a rabbit going up against a brown bear.

People should (and are, where it counts) concerned with nukes in crazy places like Pakistan.

Russians like to play games but arnt into martyrdom or other suicidal acts of war.

1 Like

The western Ukraine as well as the capital Kiev are for the most part pro west. Eastern Ukraine all the way to the Baltic Sea there is a lot more pro Russian sentiment. Just like other counties split.

Crimea for instance is pro Russia even before the invasion. The no 2 overall navy commander in Ukraine practically handed Crimea to Russia now he is in the Russian navy.

Maybe they’re doing the opposite.

Doesn’t add up, if they have tech to get here, they don’t need to manipulate us to destroy ourselves, they could drop a 10km hunk of rock on us and not ruin the planet with radiation.

We can’t know their motivation. Could just be an experiment.

Oh and by the way, we now have congressional testimony that says Covid is a bio engineered ethnic weapon.

Sounds real reliable. :crazy_face:

Not attempting to know their motivation, just pointing out, if they wanted us dead, we would already be dead.

They don’t care either way perhaps.

Watch it yourself.

He’s a conspiracy nut, no need to watch that pablum.

It has nothing to do with him, listen to the scientists.

100% speculation.

I don’t see Russia intentionally sinking any ship in the region. I do see more saber rattling and diplomatic posturing, but nothing that could escalate into a shooting war.