Are we headed for another government shutdown?

The government currently runs out of money on September 30th, so in order to keep the government running the congress would need to pass a continuing resolution. The debt ceiling will hit sometime in October and the Democrats are likely to add that extension with any CR. Republicans would have no issue with a “clean” CR, but McConnell says no votes from Republicans for extending the debt ceiling.

So will there be a government shut down on October 1st and if so who will the average voter blame?

I can’t speak for the average voter but this voter believes both sides of the aisle are always to blame…period. Hope that answers your question?

2 Likes

I agree with you on that because most of them on both sides are very hypocritical. That said, usually during/after a government shutdown the general public tends to blame one side or the other.

1 Like

The average person will blame who the TV tells them too.

4 Likes

Are you different from the average person?

yes, I read a lot.

2 Likes

Politicians are united, in keeping us divided.

Deja vu. It seems like we already did this before, and determined they’ll just raise it again without ever considering the amount of spending that got us there in the first place.

:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

The way the debt ceiling is set up is stupid. It doesn’t stop new spending that will push you above the ceiling. It just basically stops you from pay for things that were already approved and spent on the government credit card.

3 Likes

Let’s see how many people get caught up in the bickering and arguing leading up to the totally unexpected 11th hour “compromise” that “saves” the day.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yellen wanted a clean Bipartisan bill but Nancy won’t give it to her…

" “In recent years Congress has addressed the debt limit through regular order, with broad bipartisan support,” Yellen said in a statement. “This is a shared responsibility, and I urge Congress to come together on a bipartisan basis as it has in the past to protect the full faith and credit of the United States.”

The republicans have already stated no votes for a debt ceiling extension. So how is Nancy not giving them something they will vote against her problem?

1 Like

The republicans want to make a deal on the massive spending bill. That’s called bipartisanship. Nancy does not want to be bipartisan.

2 Likes

I don’t think they want a deal on that. I think they want it to fall apart and it looks like it will because all the Dems can’t agree on it. Therefore, no reason not to extend the debt ceiling for money a lot of them voted to spend.

I agree with you on that, but some of what the dems want in that bill is in no way shape or form infrastructure either.

True.

Good thing you deleted…:rofl:

A little late though. I saw one of your posts disappear about an hour ago lol.

McConnel says the dems have the votes and should take full responsibility for raising the debt limit themselves. It is the dems massive spending bill. Not the reps…

2 Likes