Are UFOs really some sort of alien technology?

Or Donald Trumps seeking whom they might grab.

When you’re extraterrestrial, they let you!

4 Likes

What is the chance that an alien civilization would develop in the same window of time that would match our own out of the 14 billion years the universe has been around and be close enough to think our solar system is worth visiting?

I guess if you a young earther and believe the universe is only a could thousand years old i can see how they would think its possible…

But the sane rational people realize that the odds are so remote that the idea is ludicrous…

Nope.

Those signals rapidly dissipate over time and space such that it would be almost impossible to distinguish them as signal from background noise 100 ly out.

This.

One of the reasons why SETI hasn’t found anything yet either.

We have only had a technical civilization for a fraction of a percentage of this planet’s lifetime

The odds we would be looking directly at a star system with a planet housing a technical civilization at the moment in time we were looking is quite low.

People often forget when we look out into space we are also looking backwards in time.

I think that’s a weak argument.
It is estimated that there are 10 million times 2 quadrillion planets in the observable universe.
It is impossible to estimate how many are inhabited and what stage of technical advancement they’re in, if they are inhabited.

Jimmy carter said the same thing.

One thing’s for sure, I’ll never make fun of people who say they’ve seen unidentified objects in the sky. If I become President, I’ll make every piece of information this country has about UFO sightings available to the public and the scientists.

Despite his earlier pledge, once elected, Carter distanced himself from disclosure, citing “defense implications” as being behind his decision.

1 Like

You throw out the always impressive numbers that indicate just how large the universe is, but do little to give an an indication of just how VAST the distances are.

Unless you are willing to just go full sci-fi and assume faster than light travel or “worm holes” are a thing, the vastness of space is more daunting than the large numbers you can generate on what it contains.

Yep… if there was a race of spacefaring species who was able to conquer interstellar travel and came into this solar system… we would know… because to them we are bugs.

You actually strengthen my argument by the sheer number of planets, the distance between and the time line of there being two civilizations of advanced technology in the same window of time and being close enough to notice there is advanced life on the planet to want to travel to it makes the odds of aliens visiting us even more astronomical…

So out of the 10 million times 2 quadrillion planets, how ling would it take to observe them to find possible life?
Simple math… observing a million planets a day, how long would it take to observe one tenth of those planets?

Problem with an alien threat is that would probably unite us as a species and that would be, like, globalism aka TERRIBLE

1 Like

You’re moving the goal posts. You are now including distance in your equation.

I’ll answer your original argument. With millions of quadrillions of planets in the known universe, it is impossible to know they probabilities of there being advanced civilizations. You said the chances are very low. I say we cannot know this.

I do not believe we have been visited. I said that early on. I don’t believe a civilization capable of visiting us would need to. If they were interested, they could find out anything they wanted without a visit.

No… you are not understanding what i am saying…

I made no guess if there is intelligent life… i would even say over the 14 billion years that there may very well be millions of other civilizations that rise and fall…

I am saying that the odds of there being another civilization that exists at the same time as us and close enough to travel to us and have the technology to notice us and travel to us is pretty much nil…

And how is mentioning distance when discussing the universe moving goal posts? It is one of the main factors of the universe…

I am discussing alien visitation not alien existence…

Did you miss the point of when you look out into space you’re also looking back in time?

The amount of time a technical civilization is using means of communication we could detect is a tiny tiny fraction of the time the planet on which they dwell exists.

Even if thousands of civilizations exist in a bubble of space where the signals would still be strong enough to detect, the odds we’d be looking at that planet when its civilization actually existed to be sending the signals is very very small.

I think you, vaard and I all agree the chances of our being visited are slim to none.

If the UFOs are some sort of alien technology, it does not necessarily mean that they contain actual aliens. It is much more likely that they represent some sort of pilotless space probes.

The aliens themselves could have died out millions of years ago, possibly as a result of their own technology. Many people fear a similar fate for humanity; artificial intelligence and robots could lead to extinction by our own creations.

I don’t believe it’s aliens, either. But if it was it could be some alien teenagers saying “Hey, let’s go mess with those Earth people again! They always freak out.”. Or maybe they’re checking up on us to make sure we don’t get TOO advanced in our technology.

Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around looking for planets that haven’t made interstellar contact yet and buzz them, meaning that they find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor unsuspecting soul whom no one’s going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennas on their head and making beep beep noises.

The only thing that stops a bad alien with a phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range is a GOOD alien with a phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range.

3 Likes

On a side note, when looking back at that famous hilarious line, one may realize how stupid it is. How does that machine not know a phased plasma rifle in any range would not exist in the '80s? We know these things have detailed files of almost everything; we later see it pull up the transmission pattern of the semi truck it commandeers. It seems knowing what weapons are available in a period of time one is traveling to would be important.

But if not, wouldn’t this thing ask for it first? We have to assume the plasma rifle is a much more efficient weapon. Why ask for a couple of “relics” first? It’s like someone from now going back to the civil war era and asking for the muzzleloader, a flintlock, then an M16 with an M203 grenade launcher.

1 Like