Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

This discussion started in a different thread. Lasted a for a few posts. I started this thread and now have 360+ responses. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. :wink:

You are simply regurgitating rhetoric. Kind of difficult to respond unless I want to regurgitate rhetoric as well. Then it would be nothing but a well rehearsed play, where we each faithfully recite our lines.

What is the lw rhetoric in this? Come on man show me🤣 I think you are using words you don’t understand

"
I was referring to responses like when you kept saying that an increase in wages would causes Walmart to increase costs which is con rhetoric that would probably be true in a free market capitalist system, which we are about as far from as possible.

When I pointed out
The reason it does not apply at all in this case is because walmart(or any other parasitic companies) is able to achieve highly competitive pricing and massive profits by using taxpayer resources to subsidize their workforce.

Let’s say that Walmart raises pricing 10% across the board to keep their profits unaffected. So what? Why would removing Walmart unfair completive advantage cause Costco or Walmarts other non parasitic competitors not to raise prices as well? It’s completely illogical. Why would anyone continue shopping at Walmart when prices jump 10% while their competitors remain stable. Since there is no rw rhetoric you can throw out you haven’t responded except to act like I hate Walmart or some nonsense"

Seriously just admit I won this. There is no possible way you can make a coherent response to this with out resorting to hominem nonsense.

Unless they plan on advancing into management.

My cousin started as a flipper and 9 years later he’s a regional manager. Brings in close to 80 grand a year. It took a long time for spots to open up though and he was fortunate that he didn’t have any kids until he was a district manager.

Seems weird to me that an unskilled laborer can just work themselves into a management position. Also seems weird that skills would be required to manage unskilled workers. I mean if anybody off the street can just come in and do the work, what’s to be managed exactly? Also weird would be the high turnover for such “easy” jobs. Maybe there’s a bit more to it than just a blanket “unskilled workers” statement would lead us to believe?

Absolutely. In every job their is advancement opportunity for those willing to apply themselves. Good for your cousin. :clap:

Why?? Everyone starts out in life as unskilled. Why would it be so hard to conceive of someone taking the proper training courses and applying themselves??

Now I think you are just trying to be funny. Is that what you think about all managers and executives??? :thinking:

Much of that turnover comes from those who are using the jobs as a first step. That’s the way it should be.

There are no winners and losers when having meaningful discussion. That you don’t understand such a simple concept only serves to make my point.

Sure. But how does someone who stays in an unskilled job acquire skills in order to move to a skilled position? Are skills magic or something? Or are they acquired even by “unskilled” workers in the course of their careers?

And like I said, if any slob can walk in off the street and do the job, what’s being managed? Do people who go around mowing lawns or cleaning houses need to be managed too? I mean literally anyone can do those things right? Or do they need to do it a certain way to maintain a successful business and earn a living doing it? Things that make you go hmmm…

How did you do it?

Managing schedules. Making sure things are running smoothly. Making job assignments. Making sure those assignments are carried out. Resolution conflict. Disciplinary action when required. Ordering. Interviewing job applicants. Hiring. etc…

Have you seriously never managed anyone before?

Yep!

Yep!

Hmmmmmmmm…

You’ve lost me with this one.

Of course I did. It doesn’t fit the narrative you’re pushing. You’ve yet to explain why people still need to be trained to do “unskilled” labor as well.

Why interview if anyone can walk in off the street and do it?

What is being determined at the interview? If they’re going to be a good fit for the job? Again, if anyone can do the job, who wouldn’t be a good fit for the job?

Once again, you’re all over the place. Surprise.

Sure it does. You started out as unskilled and worked to acquire skills allowing you to make a decent living. That is exactly the narrative I’ve been pushing.

You are the one using the term unskilled. I’ve been using the term low skilled.

Someone who flips hamburgers at McDonalds will need some minimum amount of training. Someone who decides they want to be a lead supervisor or manager would seek out additional training.

In regards to someone who flips burgers at McDonalds, most anyone can do it with minimum training. As you point out, turnover is high for a variety of reasons. Given the ample availability of people to fill those positions, McDonalds makes a decision what those positions are worth to them.

Sure. I also wasn’t qualified for the job I have now according to the people who hired me. Shows what they know I guess.

Hey, you’re finally admitting that even “unskilled” work requires some skill? Progress.

There are winners and losers in everything.

When it so impossible to refute, contest or in this case even address my counter points (ie the total destruction of your rhetoric) that the only available option is ad hom nonsense, then that is an obvious big L

Not complicated

Way back when while in the Air Force, we were required to take aptitude tests to help decide a career we might best be suited for. Within the last year I retired as a software engineer after almost 50 years. Ironically that was one of the areas where I scored lowest on my aptitude test, yet I was always seen as one of the best and brightest by my peers and management during my long career. Go figure.

As of yet I can only assume you haven’t bothered to catchup on the discussion. If you had you would clearly see that I consciously avoided the word “unskilled”. Low skilled was the term I used and on multiple occasions I explained what I meant by low skilled.

So you’ve never managed and have never hired someone. If you had you wouldn’t be asking that question. I’ve done both. Even with a skilled position, their qualifications get them an interview. In that interview I would be looking at first impressions. Will they work well with others, is there something that would raise a red flag in that interview? What is their background? etc…

Would be looking for similar kinds of things with an unskilled or low skilled worker.

Actually I’ve remained quite consistent. You on the other hand seem to lack even a basic understanding of how the real world operates.

Yep!

But in this forum we are each expressing our opinion. Some might believe their opinion trumps someone else’s and that makes them the winner. So be it. Most don’t feel that way. They just want to have a meaningful discussion about political issues or events that have transpired.

Based on my conversation with you, there is little doubt where you come down on that one. :wink: