Are Companies Using Welfare Programs to Keep Their Workers Wages Low?

Yeah, you’ve been consistent alright. :laughing:

Can’t actually address my points so resort to an ad hominem about my understanding of “how the real world works” like you clearly do. Never saw that coming.

What points exactly are you referring to? Thus far all you’ve done is attempted to create strawman arguments by putting words in my mouth. And it does help if you bring yourself up-to-date on the discussion. :wink:

He is doing it to both of us :rofl:

Trumpys have this thing we’re instead of admitting they are wrong they would rather just double down on stupid and think people don’t see what is going on.

It’s cool, others can read the same thread. I’m no longer interested in circular reasoning and ad hominems. Clearly, that’s all you have to contribute to the discussion at this point.

This thread has long since run its course. I seriously doubt anyone is still interested or paying attention, beyond you. I’m still responding because it is my thread and I feel I need to remain until the very end. Otherwise I would have moved on long ago.

I Negotiate above the Union Contract on every single job I am on.

It is a floor, not a ceiling.

2 Likes

I can say with certainty that wasn’t the case in my wife’s experience with deli clerks or meat wrappers. Management religiously stuck to the union contract with her and her peers.

She always went above and beyond and was seen by her peers and management as a leader. She did the supervisors job with ordering and scheduling. They recognized her skills, attempting to promote her into a management position. She had no interest because that meant they would be able to send her to any store.

She wanted to remain in the store near our home, so she turned them down. Despite her going above and beyond she got paid exactly what everyone else in her department was paid, even those who went out of their way to do the bare minimum. She would frequently come home in tears at how unfair it was. But management’s hands were tied.

The union contract dictated what everyone was paid and there were no exceptions. That experience is one of the reasons I have mixed feelings about unions, even as we are enjoying her union pension in our retirement.

Thats exactly right. There are advancements into better careers in fast food.

2 Likes

There are advancement opportunities in pretty much any industry for those willing to put forth the effort.

1 Like

I’m not sure big business has anything to do with welfare dependency.

According to the above link, almost half of all recipients who work are employed by the agricultural sector.

More women than men receive benefits and many who qualify are children. Employees like cashiers may depend on Medicaid, although I’m finding it difficult to believe nurses rely on it (unless we’re talking those working under 30 hours or lower paid Certified Nursing Assistants, or CNAs).

IMO, based on more women & children depending on these programs than men, factors like unplanned, unwed parenthood contribute more to dependence than what Walmart or other big businesses have to offer.

It’s a finacially closed system.
The currency, Life, Life is Labor.
So much anger, and hate for the UNDESERVING POOR.
The Corporate minimum wage forces workers to QUALIFY for WELFARE PRGRAMS.
America must suck total ass if the majority of workers can’t survive.
Americans work longer, and harder than any other FREE people.
It’s one big coal mine.
The disparity is criminal.

Ahh yes! A recitation of LW rhetorical greatest hits. Very nicely done. I wouldn’t change a thing. A fitting way to close out the thread. Great Job! :clap:

Not every free country.

We are second behind Japan.

Those people are workaholics. 70 hour work weeks are common there.

I’m sorry, what is this “corporate minimum wage”? There’s a state and a federal minimum wage.

And no, America doesn’t “suck ass”. Look up your history.

The work week was once longer, and, contrary to the thoughts of American conservatives that women once stated home, women and children were part of workers.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3033142/how-the-average-american-work-week-compares-to-the-rest-of-the-world

The above is a comparison between the U S & other nations.

Here is the history of the American work week.

Please, try not to be so naive while hammering me.
Do you really think that Corporate America does not influence the minimum wage?
Lobby what? Lobby who? Lobby where? Whaaaaa’, Whoooooo’?

My history, MY HISTORY!
You know nothing…
About my history. Mam.
You mean H-I-S-T-O-R-Y?
History?
I’ll go there “witch” choooo’.
If your going to begin to discuss American Labor, one must comprehend American Unions…
Do you?
And the need for them?

And, “I can see Russia from my house!”

Probably not for the reasons you believe. Corporate America actually supports a minimum wage increase. Why is that?

A growing number of major corporations and their trade groups are backing the current legislative push to dramatically raise the federal minimum wage. President Biden has called for more than doubling the federal minimum wage to $15, and Congress is trying to mandate this massive increase in the upcoming pandemic relief package. It’s framed as a matter of supporting workers, but while many big businesses are already paying $15 to all their workers, most small businesses cannot. Passing a wage hike right now would also worsen the pandemic trend of many big businesses thriving while millions of small businesses suffer.

I’m guessing you are going to simply regurgitate LIB talking points on this one.

What is it exactly that you dispute?

And Cops never lie…
And Politicians never lie…
And Prosecutors never knowingly convict innocent people…
And Santa Clause brings only good kids presents…
And the Easter Bunny hides his eggs for us to find because… well I don’t know that one, but he does it for us, benevolently…

One, show me one, Top Tier American based Corporation that relies heavly on physical Labor that is currently, CURRENTLY, outspoken against this Nation destroying, criminal WAVE of immigrants flooding their Businesses, I mean our Country, hunh’?
Just One…
One…

Some do.

Most do.

Not beyond the realm of possibility that it has happened.

There is no Santa Clause

No Easter Bunny either.

So then you don’t disagree that Corporate America actually supports a minimum wage increase. :+1:

Nice LW diatribe by the way. Not remotely relevant to anything being discussed, but hey if it makes you feel better go for it. :wink: