Are Brits on to something? Does Trump's behaviour go against the sensibilities of the sophisticated British?

You know I don’t like Trump. I don’t shy away from that. But this article plainly hits on all the reasons why.

To those who don’t support Trump, how many of these reasons fit your mindset.

To those who do support Trump are any of these traits the reason you like and support Trump?

I read this two or three times, and I can actually see it both ways…but isn’t that what divides us on the topic?

In before the inevitable “Why should I give a damn what the Brits think?” response.

(Edited to add commentary) As to the opinion itself? Some points stand out:

…he [Trump] has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace

All hard to argue, but especially no coolness and no humor. I said elsewhere that so much of skilled humor involves the ability to be self-deprecating, an ability Donald’s fragile ego simply cannot withstand. It’s why he lashes back like a wounded child whenever there is criticism against him, be it satire or serious.

He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless

Trump supporters have often lauded Donald for his “counter-punching,” so I suppose this is a matter of perspective. Does Donald only attack those who “are very very mean to him,” or does he also go after people because he knows it wins the approval of his base?

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss.

Agreed. There isn’t much about the man himself that suggests a redeeming quality, and that’s why the default response is often “I voted for policy, not the man.”

1 Like

Quora is really an opinion site so it’s just one person’s opinion. But generally speaking, I think Trump goes against normal sensibilities in general. He – and none of what he’s created since the election – is normal. It’s why it needs to end. The sooner the better.

I know it’s an opinion site. But this piece seemed to spark something in me as to why I have my opinions.

“He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty”

Trump at the Al Smith dinner trying to learn what jokes are in 2016.

““Hillary believes that it’s vital to deceive the people by having one public policy and a totally different policy in private.” This was a reference to WikiLeaks. Trump continued, “For example, here she is tonight—in public—trying to pretend she doesn’t hate Catholics.” That, somehow, was the punch line.“

I don’t know who wrote that but it’s spot friggin on.

1 Like

From the article…A perfect way to put it.

"In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?’"

Although…it would be fun to watch a Trump put on a song and dance to Putin on the Ritz!

1 Like

Too few of Donald’s supporters have reached this stage.

Someone told me, or maybe it was a comedian in a skit, never trust people who don’t laugh.

That seems so applicable today.

Supa dupa!

1 Like

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and that’s what makes him honest…in a kinky kind of way ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

His agenda is on the surface. It isn’t hidden in some back place. All politicians to this point, tell you what you want to hear and then do what they always intended to do. They lie…big, fat lies. Trump tells many what he’s going to do and then does it while lying about idiotic things like…crowd sizes.

Again we find the “he lies so obviously that he is the most honest president ever” trope rearing it’s illogical, rationalizing head again.

He’s not honest. There’s not an honest bone in his body. He’s obvious. That’s the word you want. He’s an obvious and unabashed liar. And you admire him for that.

8 Likes

If you don’t make jokes you aren’t real. Last summer just prior to the start of my dads visitation, my sister and I are standing with my mom at the rented casket as we were having him cremated. My mom kicked the thing that the casket was on and it made a loud thud. Quick as a flash I say to her. Jesus Mom go easy on it the damn things a rental just loud enough for her and my sister to hear. My dad would have loved it. We all cracked up. That is real. That is funny, that is humor.

3 Likes

Trump is not funny. His idea of funny is to insult those he sees as beneath him. He is about as funny as Judge Smails.

Ok. That’s honest. And I kinda get that. But why abuse people?

Actually it’s the giant lie trump supporters tell themselves. Trump has lied about several major policies he’s tried to get through outside of conservative judges who someone wrote a list for him and he’s sticking to it because he doesn’t care and it’s easy. Remember even then he floated naming his sister to the Supreme Court like he wanted to put Ivanka to the world bank.

Health care: I’m going to cover everyone even if republicans aren’t happy about it

The wall: big beautiful concrete wall paid for by Mexico.

Taxes: the rich will pay more.

It’s convenient to try to spin Trump’s lies as applying only to the small things, to try to shape them into just lies that don’t matter as if lying nonstop about tangential things isn’t serious.

4 Likes

I don’t have a good answer except insecurity and that the MSM has unilaterally attacked this President like no other ever before. I don’t know how Trump has been able to manage fighting back, considering the overwhelming odds but the abuse…is a part of that fighting back.

Ya this isn’t a biased question, second paragraph.

“For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.”

Now who identifies with these traits? Any takers? Speak up Trump supporters to any of those traits you identify with.

Except, for me…I am not a MSM kind of person. I don’t watch, I done listen, and I may read some. My decisions are my decisions.