Any good T.V. shows out there to suggest?

Series have a difficult time sustaining themselves past 4 or 5 seasons, I’ve found. I suspect it’s why I enjoyed series like Firefly, Hannibal, and Penny Dreadful - it was a shame to see them end so soon, but they went out before they had a chance to jump the shark.

Game of Thrones is the last series in the last decade I was able to stay interested in past that 5 year mark.

3 episodes in of Stranger Things Series 3 and quite literally apart from some exploding rats nothing has happened.

1 Like

Doom patrol suffers from the comic always being something i will get to reading eventually and not wanting to see the show before i read the comic. The Morrison series. Then Gerard Way has one out now that i need to read after that one. Also the DC streaming service thing.

It would be on the top of my list otherwise.

I’m more likely to read something if I’m invested in some other way. For instance, I didn’t even know about Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol before I knew it was a series on DC Universe. I still haven’t read it yet, but the show is amazing. I might get around to reading Doom Patrol, but I haven’t read Seaguy yet, or Animal Man. Morrison is doing Green Lantern right now and it’s up to 9 issues. So good.

I forgot about Penny Dreadful it was just three seasons as well. I agree writing fatigue or whatever one calls it seems to veer it’s ugly head after a few seasons. I thought the first two seasons of Lost were brilliant then it went off the rails.

Yeah it is the paywall that is keeping me from doing it.

I have loved Doom Patrol since Grant Morrison’s run at it and the run a few years ago was a good time.

It had Ambush Bug in it so it was constantly poking fun at its imminent cancellation.

Watch “Tales of the City” on Netflix.

I know it is about a very liberal subject… LGBTQ+ people in San Francisco… but I worked on it and there is that.

I actually liked it and I usually work on garbage.

2 Likes

@Jezcoe my daughter and I tried to watch that one night, but shut it off after about 10 minutes. It has that thing with so many Netflix shows–unlikable actors and unlikable characters.

And having to have one of everything. One smart girl, one lovable old guy, one Asian character, one cheerful gay guy, one street smart black girl, a nerd with glasses, on and on and on.

Maybe I’ll try it again this fall after the daughter goes back to college.

Just remember to direct all complaints to Netflix.

1 Like

Netflix is making an adaptation of Sandman! I just saw the news the other day. I’m so excited/worried. I’m sure they’ll do Gaiman justice. American Gods and Good Omens are great.

I watched the first episode and thought the same thing. It does get better.

Believe it or not this show has been done on and off since the 90’s and it has a bunch of books behind it, so there is a certain amount of fan service that they have to get out of the way.

I understand that it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I just turn lights on and off so I am not offended in the least bit.

I want an adaptation of Books of Magic. That series is holy to me, along with Sandman and a few others.

Teen Titans Go and We Bear Bears - but I have a five year old so this may not work for everyone.

1 Like

I’m not a child, and I don’t have children, but Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2 are great. I cried during the second one.

Quite enjoyed them (as did she) - I find the “kids” shows are throwing more bones to the poor bastard parents who are forced into them now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I was somewhat aware of the history of the show, and I had seen good reviews of it. I’ll try it again in the fall when it’s just me.

1 Like

I’m into old shows most of which I stream. My favorites: The Avengers (the Patrick McNee, Diana Rigg series), The Prisoner (Patrick McGoohan), The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Coupling (the British version, not the American), Are You Being Served (not streamed, unfortunately) and West Wing. Most of these are on various streaming services.

But my wife and son picked up on a great series called Heartland, about life at a ranch. This one is on Netflix.

1 Like

I would also suggest Legion… which has one of the best pilots ever made in my opinon

And Mr.Robot

Loved the books- I will try it.

If you get Vudu, I think the first season is on sale.