Anti-Woke blowback? Disney ousts ultra-woke CEO (Chapek) restores old CEO (Iger) known for expanding business and making a profit

In Bob Chapek’s short tenure as Disney CEO Disney went from garden variety entertainment industry to the woke voice for making kids cartoons with transgendered characters and a political action committee to turn public schools into LGBTQ prgananda camps.

It also lost a lot of money. Since all streaming services are having a hard time (Netflix, Hulu etc.) so he can hardly be blamed if that segment loses money, but Disney has been hit hard in several segments. The teachers and plumbers etc. whose pensions are invested in Disney have begun to wonder “Are you running a company? Or are we just a source of funds for your political agenda?”

Anyway, just months after renewing his contract as CEO Disney has now unceremoniously ousted Chapek and restored Bob Iger, known a s CEO who runs a company, and not known for being any further left or right than the media business in general.

From second article

Chapek said one of the ways Disney can make lasting change is through its content, citing films like “Encanto” and TV shows like “Modern Family.”

“These and all of our diverse stories are our corporate statements — and they are more powerful than any tweet or lobbying effort,” he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/20/media/disney-bob-iger-ceo/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/09/media/dont-say-gay-bill-disney-chapek-desantis

DeSantis won, again.

3 Likes

Yeah well if Chapek had focused on business instead of opposing legislation and producing propaganda he’d probably have a job.

It’s not really about DeSantis.

Nor is it really about wokeness. 1.5b loss probably had something to do with it

1 Like

Yep… they are losing money on the streaming strategy.

3 Likes

True, but I’m sure losing their tax status didn’t help Chapek any.

Because of their wokeness.

3 Likes

What about streaming is “woke”?

They are gaining subscribers, but are getting killed on the costs.

1 Like

This comes way to late in my world. Screw Disney, their woke agenda and everything that goes with them. The damage they’ve done to children in the name of making money and perpetuating their filthy, sadness filled agenda is unforgivable…period.

3 Likes

Wokeness didn’t have to do with the $1.5B loss?

What “damage” has Disney done to children to make money?

3 Likes

“Not really about” isn’t “not at all about.”

It’s right in front of your face. Simply open your eyes…if…YOU…choose?

1 Like

So nothing then.

Got ya

4 Likes

I would argue there is some damage but none of that damage has anything to do with what’s being implied.

Waffle for breakfast?

What rock you been hiding under? Even Disney recognizes and celebrates it.

1 Like

He doesn’t want to see. My kids all cancelled Disney and have no plans to go back to them.

1 Like

Something about words meaning things. If i wanted to say this had nothing to do with wokeness i would have. That’s all.

1 Like

The Streaming side has gained subscribers. It isn’t being abandoned by people who enjoy their content. They are getting killed on the costs of production and delivery.

What does that have to with “woke”?

2 Likes