Another School Shooting

And then there’s the windows. They’re pretty much doors, but because of superficial differences, everyone wants to just pretend like they all the same.

That’s the spirit.

1 Like

Wasn’t deinstitutionalization a Republican thing? That along with community based support that never materialized.

Largely ■■■■■■ parents are to blame, but that’s the growing trend in the good ol’ US of A!

2 Likes

How would dems enforce gun control when they don’t like the police. It’s odd the big govt party which loves laws hates enforcement…

1 Like

Please show me one political faction or the other involved historically in de institutionalization:

A former honored guest put it perfectly: libs don’t want the involuntarily committed, cons don’t want to pay for it.

Me I’m in the middle. I believe de institutionalization without viable alternatives for those who really need constant supervision is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Why not just dump the water and figure out a way to keep the baby clean?

Not really that odd. The criminal element constitutes a significant amount of dem voters imo.

As governor of California Regan passed legislation that prevented involuntary institutionalization of the mentally ill. It essentially resulted in moving many former patients from healthcare facilities to criminal justice facilities.

In some areas the number of incarcerated doubled in a year. There was an empty promise of community support that was never funded.

I, for one, believe there are people that need to be institutionalized that are not capable of deciding for themselves. And I also believe it is safer for people that need it to be in a environment geared to address their needs and not in a jail where they are subject to danger. That’s probably more cost effective as well.

1 Like

Metropolitan State Hospital - An Abandoned Hospital in Massachusetts.

Ah yes, the one some selectively remembering cons regard as Sain Ronnie the Magnificent, deinstitutionalizing those who truly need the constant supervision and ruining the Emergency Departments everywhere. I’d forgotten that one.

However the man passed away many years ago, and, while Massachusetts has a history with Republican governors, it’s a fairly liberal state (understatement), and our state mental hospitals were cleared out years after California’s under Saint Ronnie the Magnificent, as showed in the above link.

They’re just lovely people, leaving severely mentally ill homeless—IIRC Worcester State Hospital housed geriatric mentally ill, and residents not only were schizophrenic but suffering other maladies like Type 2 Diabetes some drvelop later in life—and building condos in their place. They’re just lovely individuals with so much concern for the physically and mentally handicapped, honestly if it wasn’t for the beautiful scenery and legal weed I’d leave and never return.

Why are y’all carrying on about mental hospitals? What in that article suggests mental health issues?

2 Likes

No, it was a judge thing.

I don’t think that’s correct. It was legislation signed by Reagan.

Look here under civil commitment

Carter signed it, Reagan rolled it back, reduced federal funding, and sent block grants to the states.

Block grants have no oversight, so as per usual (see Brett Favre), the mentally ill got hosed.

Thing is, it had to happen. A nationwide system of hospitals involuntarily committing people?! That’s the stuff of nightmares.

In 1967 Reagan and the Calif legislature passed the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act which allowed local and private mental facilities to accept more patients especially those with more treatable forms of mental illness. The state hospitals complained about the cut in funding. Even though they were never underfunded, some facilities reduce their patient number.
The Carter administration signed into law the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980, which did the same thing as Reagan for national facilities. In 1981, when both parties in Congress agreed to the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981, President Reagan signed that into law.
In other words, the State got more funding control over mental health facilities, whether local or state.
Serious cases could still be funded through Medicaid, creating a big federal funding pool of money. This was formalized in the Mental Health Planning Act of 1986.
These bipartisan policies recommended that the Fed transfer government funding of community mental health facilities back to the states.
In 1986, Reagan also signed into a law another bipartisan solution to have Medicaid assist with funding state mental hospitals.
None of these laws closed a single facility.

2 Likes

The biggest threat to America are MAGA Republicans, not the breakdown of the traditional family or gangs, don’t cha know. Unlike MAGA Republicans who are evil at the core and irredeemable, all these thugs and gangbangers need is just a little bit rehabilitation! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A society with many problems needs a bigger government with more solutions! Exactly as desired!

If you say so, for I did not

Good one! :+1: :joy:

School has been out for summer for months.