And the number one issue for November is:

Haven’t decided yet. Probably not too much longer. If the dems takeover and start to tinker with the market, then immediately.

You do realize that it takes two-to-tango in Government right? That just because Congress attempts to pass legislation, it must be supported by either a large enough bipartisan group of politicians (unlikely in today’s environment) or by the man you voted for President. So, until Trump is out of office, why would you be concerned with politicians passing any legislation that could impact you negatively at all?

We all know you mean you are going to only vote for Republicans here.

Take a civics course man. Wow.

Democrats take over and tinker with the market? Huh?

That may be true, but the national debt doubled under Obama. Unprecedented. 50 years of talk and no action. I’m not going too excited by an occasional trend in one direction or the other. They need to show me that they are serious. They have not. Both party’s have been incredibly disappointing. I’ve seen too much to believe otherwise.

Lol under Obama the national debt doubled, and his administration spent more than all of the previous presidents combined. There is no way to spin that into a happy story.

Look at the debt rise, the Obama administration literally added $30,000 of debt to each individual citizen. There is no way to spin this to a happy story.

I love liberals. Always full of advice. Can I give you some advice now? Ok here it is. The next time you reply to a post, do it in a way where you do not come off as being angry, bitter and totally rude. People will take you more seriously. Good advice eh? Now I will permit you to follow up with an insult, then we will be done with the nonsense. This stuff gets boring pretty quickly. Am I right?

Not even close to unprecedented.

GW Bush and Reagan had greater increases.

I get it. You’re voting for short term personal gain over long term financial stability. It’s rational from your perspective. I just wish you and others wanted to do the responsible thing.

You don’t have to spin it because it’s false.

I’d reckon I’m more conservative than you have dreamed of being. But the “evul librul” :drooling_face: insult is always a nice way to begin a post.

I sincerely apologize for coming off angry. And you’re right. I could have approached this better. I’m sorry.

What I should have asked instead is, how could a Democratic-led House possibly do anything to tinker with the market, considering there will be a Republican-led Senate and a Republican sitting in the White House?

Simple math. 10 trillion went to 20 trillion under Obama. Why are wasting my time? We both already agree that the republicans suck regarding the debt. If you want to convince yourself that democrats are amazing regarding the national debt, then knock yourself out. But trying to convince me that ether party does not totally suck is not possible. I have seen too much to believe in this fairy tale.

Ive taken the advice of a friend who has a Mergersand Acquisition firm (she also teaches an Econ class at HBS.) She and her husband pulled out of the market about 9 months ago - as did everyone they know in the business. Corps are way too highly leveraged. She showed me a graph she has been using in her class. Very scary. Worse than right before the Great Depression.

I’m siting on a pile of cash (I had asked her advice on what to do with it - which is when she told me about her being in all cash.) We still have money in 403B and other investment accounts, but have gone more conservative because of our ages. H will have a 6 figure guaranteed pension when he retires in 2 years, plus he also plans to not stop working after leaving the state govt - so we will be ok regardless. Still, I’d rather not lose everything when the market crashes.

My friend said 18-24 months from when we last talked.

1 Like

I love how libs attacked the tea party for 8 years and now cry “Where are they!!!”

Hey! Remember that time Ted Cruz shut down Niagara Falls?

I provided a link with actual data. You’re just throwing numbers out.

Face facts. Deficit was going down under Obama. Trump doubles it in two years in the midst of an economic expansion. That’s unprecedented.

But as long as your 401k is going up, you’ll vote to continue the policies.

Because people care more about themselves than they care about the country. Why waste time pretending otherwise.

I accept your apology. It’s not a crime to make a mistake. It is a crime to let a mistake go un corrected. You’re a good man. I won’t forget that.

As far as the market goes. It flourished after corporate taxes and individual taxes were cut. Government regulations were slashed as well. Government agencies have been reduced in size and are less aggressive toward the private sector. There are some in the democratic party who are committed to re-taxing and re-regulating. The market does not need government to fix it. It is doing fine. With a republican in the Whitehouse, the danger is limited. But in two short years that could all change. Why risk voting for anyone who believes that he needs to “fix” the economy?

1 Like

Who are your options on the ballot this year?

trump stock and gold.

Attended my HBS reunion in May, 2007. Sat in on a session led by my investment management professor. I asked him about the real estate market and about what asset class people should be looking at. About real estate: “the institutional people I’ve talked to are terrified and trying to get out.” About asset class: “The asset nobody wants right now – cash.” He couldn’t have been more right.

Thanks for reminding about the leverage issue. I had read about it but forgot. The increase in rates is not going to go well.

1 Like

Yes, it’s not going to go well.

Vote for a tax cut and spend republican over a tax and spend democrat. My options are poor.

Dude. As I said I don’t care if you think that democrats are great on the national debt. It’s your business. Both parties suck.

Obama doubled the national debt from 10 trillion to 20 trillion. For me success would have been taking the debt for 10 trillion to 9 trillion. I know my standards are high. But that’s what they are.