And the number one issue for November is:

True. And looking into the future is a little easier if you are confident that government will not increase taxes, regulations or otherwise punish business. If we elect people who are commited to not tinker with the conditions that caused the boom, the boom has a better chance not to turn to a bust.

Good for you! If you haven’t read Thinking Fast and Slow by Kahneman or Misbehaving by Thaler, you should definitely do that if you’re interested.

Some of the principles are very useful when it comes to marketing, pricing, and client management. The biggest takeaways for me have been how much more people hate losses than love gains, and how to position decisions to nudge people in the right direction (Thaler won the Nobel for his BF work, and lots of companies have adopted opt-out approaches to 401ks as opposed to opt-in).

And it turned out he was minimally invested. I guess he just liked to have people think he knew what he was talking about, I guess.

I hope that’s not just evenly distributed. That would be a mistake.

You should be tilting those investments somewhat heavily toward bitcoin and the Lions.

How do you feel that your 401k is propped up with tax cuts that are leading to much larger deficits that future generations of workers are going to have to be responsible for?

I don’t feel at all. I look at the results. After taxes were reduced, and regulations rolled back, the market boomed and my retirement possibility increased. Bigly. Some politicians believe that they need to “fix” this.

As for deficits. I do care about them. But neither political party does. If they did, the national debt would not continue to sky rocket no matter which party is in charge. Anyone who believes that his own political party does not completely suck regarding debt and deficits is a fool. They both suck and they have spent the past 50 years proving it.

Do you know why Republicans don’t care about the deficit?

Do you know why democrats don’t?

I don’t care why. I’m just tired of politicians talking and finger pointing, then when given the opportunity to do something, doing nothing.

I repositioned awhile back moving most of my positions in tech stocks to either healthcare, oil, or cash positions and a few odd positions that have paid off in the marijuana industry.

The market has been bubbile for awhile now, but tech in particular. Also keep in mind we are do for a market pullback but all pullbacks as you know doesn’t mean a recession and could just pop back up. I quit guessing this market awhile back.

To me the biggest indicator to take some money out of the market is rising interest rates. I could care less about tariffs and China. They are already some online saving accounts offering 2.20% interest. If that keeps going up and getting more attractive. that will strangle the market quicker than anything.

Example

https://www.bankoncit.com/tiered-savings-account-savings-builder-direct/?utm_campaign=wp_br_rt_nb_savbuilder_prospecting_savbuilder&utm_source=bankrate&utm_medium=rate_table&utm_content=savbuilder_215&utm_term=ratetable

I would like to be in that position in about 5 years. Then I will take it day by day. We shall see.

My husband is looking to retire early in about two years. We have already been making moves to lock in the gains of these past years.

“day by day” is no way to manage your investments.

When given the opportunity to reduce the deficit, Republicans chose not to.

Because voters are going to do what’s best for them short term rather than thinking long term.

So when someone says they’re going to vote for who preserves their 401k, the last thing politicians are going to do is balance the budget.

I read an interview with Warren Buffett many years ago. He stated something to the effect of you take 100, subtract your age, and that should be the maximum amount of your retirement investments in the stock market. So at 65 you should never have more than 35% of your retirement in high risk stocks. It made sense to me at the time.

1 Like

Same here. I rolled a large sum over this past year. It’s pretty safe. But my 401K is rocking right now. I’m going to let it ride for a while. But we currently have politicians running for office who are committed to interfering. I won’t be voting for them.

You have answered half of the question. You totally ignored why democrats continue to run up the debt.

Monthly deficits were going down bigly under Obama. Trump turned that around bigliest. Seriously. Monthly deficits have skyrocketed to record levels. Wouldn’t it have been better to continue that trajectory? We’re going in the opposite direction from when Obama was president, now going the wrong way.

The deficit was falling under Obama, was it not?

Until when?

I’m already there from a 401K perspective. My 401K is being professionally managed, but I till get to decide about my exposure to risk. About 3 years or so ago, I wound down my exposure so that I’m now 25% in stocks and about 75% in bonds. I don’t see anything close to the upside that I was used to in the past, but my downside is a lot more palatable.

I’m waiting for my wife to turn 65 before pulling the trigger on retirement. I’m less than a year out.

In regards to my gains, I’ve seen some of my best gains during the 10 years leading up to my reallocation. For that reason, I’m not sure my retirement income would be adversely affected one way or the other. But of course I would still prefer a GOP majority and a GOP President.