An interesting and disparaging take on the current education model from an Ivy League millennial

What Universities and colleges are doing by hosting these kind of lectures or works for white students is beyond ridicules.

It shows that these Universities and colleges arent interested in students and making sure that its a place of learning but rather pushing a crazy ideology or agenda. Or someone’s else projection onto others While the world is in a pandemic.

deconstructing whiteness? are they insane?
Source

As a former high school teacher I can attest that even happens in High School. Those eight years of high school and college are by and large a complete waste of time and money for most students.

I think many on the left realize a lot of college in particular is a waste of time, but don’t want to acknowledge. Many who start various degree programs fail to finish

I just love how Facebook displays its accounts’ educational credentials: “Studied at (everywhere from Hillsborough Community College to Harvard)”. Studied…so those who failed to finish are considered equal to those who completed Associates and Bachelors degrees, very interesting. Either that, or those in charge don’t want to acknowledge that many fail to earn any degree.

But back to original topic, probably time spent in two & four year institutions is spent on dated teaching methods. For example, if someone is working, are they really going to, after they’re exhausted, want to hop in the car & show up on a campus? On line just may be the way to go to improve one’s education.

Not just that, roughly 60% of college grads get jobs that were not directly related to their major. The reality is that for most students both high school and college on a practical level are largely a waste of time and money. And I say this as a former high school science teacher.

I have a friend who went to Berkeley for his BS in electrical engineering. He had a core class that was taught by a professor who had a government grant research project at Lawrence Livermore Lab. He was required to teach a couple of courses to remain on the faculty. He said that the lectures were all about his project and nothing related to the course. So they were reduced to reading a text book and take tests only based on the text book.

I’m glad I wasn’t dumb enough to be 6 figures poorer. My wife got hers paid for by Verizon. But hey, I guess high debt is today’s trend.

The crazy ■■■■ about this that these students are paying good money for a product that is a complete waste of their time.

What happened was that going to college and getting a degree became so ingrained in so many parents and students minds starting around the 70’s. Furthermore, part of the so-called “American dream” involved one’s child getting a college degree. Along with this message by the marketing forces of higher education was the denigrating of people who worked in the trades. Getting a degree offered one a preferential status in society in a elite class above the non-college class. As all these messages coalesced, people became more and more willing to spend any amount of money for them or their children to attain this goal.

1 Like

Academia and the famous peer review

He did a whole series of papers. Peer reviewed by academics.

Personally best lawyers out there are small business lawyers and criminal lawyers.

I think we have way to many ambulance chaser and corporate lawyers IMO.

And yes…I believe even criminals should be represented…but expect to live in small house and poor neighborhood. :wink:

This is a newer thing. In the 70s people didn’t get into huge debt. I graduated high school in 1985 and no one took on that much debt getting a degree.

I graduated high school around the same time. The cost of college began to skyrocket starting around the late 90’s, for various reasons. Be that as it may, both parents and students became more and more willing to pay those exorbitant costs to get that piece of paper just for the opportunity to get that white collar job with the fancy title. :crazy_face:

Yeah, the opportunity. The late 90s is around the time my wife got hers. But like I said, Verizon paid for it. But in cases like that, when you’re already established at a good job, that piece of paper can do wonders. But if you’re not, you’re guaranteed nothing.

As a result she always made more than me. But I made up to 80k and I am totally fine with that. That’s not crap for a high school grad. She can keep those jobs with all that responsibility. She’s female, better suited for it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you go back to the 70s in Detroit where I grew up, maybe 20% of HS graduates went to college and 80% went to work. As a result, College meant a lot. Employers knew the those who completed college were clearly better educated than those who didnt.

Now so many kids go to college, that that distinction is no longer there. A 4 year degree today, is like HS then. We are also seeing that with so many kids not being prepared for working in trades, that those who do will make more than those who dont.

What would really be helpful is if the BLS would work with the High Schools and get the projections out early enough for the kids in HS to act on it. Too often kids entering in college think all the need is the diploma and it doesnt matter in what. So they take the easiest program they can to graduate with minimal study required. As a result, they have a undergrad degree working at a fast food restaurant.

1 Like

For some. My sister got a master’s degree while she was working but I don’t believe it actually made any difference for her. The thing is today with this talk about “free” college, I cringe at that thought. All that would do for most students would be to extend high school another four years and leave them no better off.

1 Like

So they can charge more tuition and get more money from the government.

yes…That is the bottom line. The cost of education hasn’t risen since I was in college '84 to '88. The cost of administering the running of the schools has gone up drastically. If you took that out. Tuition would be roughly very much the same. Those Government Grants that used to keep tuition down to a few thousand dollars, that went toward decreasing student tuition…now goes to lining the pockets of an overstuffed administrative department.

https://www.americanexperiment.org/article/now-girls-have-the-advantage-in-school/

I’d be more worried about academic progress if I had a son than having a daughter.

Boys often learn better exploring—for example, chemistry experiments and collecting samples to study under a microscope—than sitting through lectures. They’re naturally more inclined to wander and take risks than girls.

Yet western governments have handed over power to feminists who really don’t have even the average woman’s well being at heart, just their own, and really, it’s the boys who have been short changed.

The statistics cited by the article of girls concentrating on homework more than boys really aren’t that different outside the west. My husband’s sisters spent their time outside school studying while the boys spent theirs kicking a soccer ball and riding horses.

They’re from Algeria, their educational system largely a product of the French. If anything, changes in education need to be made to include boys in the learning process.

It depends on your job. Some jobs are quicker to promote people with a degree.

Back when I graduated high school there weren’t a lot of people that got a degree, making those that did stand out, which would land them a better job. It’s still like that today to some extent, but with a lot more competition for jobs. Make college free, and it’s no different than everyone with just high school. You’re now just expected to have 8 instead of 4.

The cost of education has gone up around 1500% in 40 years. Colleges don’t give a damn about education. It’s all about money. There’s a small college near me that charges $75,000 a year. $300,000 for a bachelor’s degree. No ■■■■■■■ thank you.