An interesting and disparaging take on the current education model from an Ivy League millennial

How about this, how much does one learn in school that cannot be learned on the internet?

Teaching oneself is much harder, and less effectual than being taught.

I can download a paper on astrophysics - but I won’t get much out of it unless I have the requisite background knowledge. Education is not just exposure to information, it’s about learning how to interpret that information.

Fair enough. Do you think you are better prepared?

But its always the reason…the teachers are over paid and only work 9 mos a year.

I think quite a bit. There’s a lot to be said for environment.

Clearly I agree it depends on the content and the level of difficulty of the material. Astrophysicis is one thing (very few jobs by the way), but I can state unequivocally that I am not going to learn history better listening to lectures than simply reading it in a book.

I’m certainly more prepared for a career as a government contracts attorney.

GW has the best - and pretty much the only government contracts law programs in the country, and I took enough classes in the subject to earn a “concentration” in the field.

Where you went to law school means a lot when it comes to looking for a job.

1 Like

I don’t entirely disagree with you, particularly in terms of history.

But it still depends on which book you read.

1 Like

And the lecturer

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about the topic.

There are both public and private sector employers who offer some percentage of tuition reimbursement, the percentage contingent on grades earned, for courses related to the function of that environment. For example, in one federal agency I have some familiarity with, if an employee was taking courses to work probation, or paralegal, or even administration, those courses would be reimbursed. If the student was enrolled in a B S N (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) program, he/she is on their own for tuition.

Where is the harm in recent high school graduates in particular getting maybe their first job and improving their education? OTOH, I reconnected with a high school friend I suspect would have done better for herself financially had she been steered towards a vocational course of study at our high school rather than our guidance counselor rubber stamping her parents’ choice for college prep.

M never completed college level coursework, for example, never even got to the first year algebra required for college prep students. And that’s just one area of the program she didn’t meet.

Not even sure if she earned an A A or A S or dropped out. She never got the early childhood ed job she wanted, at least not that I recall. She went through a series of dead end jobs and lists herself as a housewife on FB.

Her husband is deceased; she is disabled from kidney failure; and struggling with insurance to get access to needed care. I wonder had she learned a trade, like a home economics course of study, if maybe she could have a source of income for herself, for example, doing alterations on clothing from her home.

Regardless of how one feels about pursuing degrees, it isn’t a path that’s for everyone. Some are capable of college level work, and others are not and should be steered towards skilled trades.

Who are these “wrench turners”? I don’t think I’ve ever met one.

https://www.trade-schools.net/articles/trade-school-jobs

Lately I’m seeing HELP WANTED signs for jobs like landscaping and transmission mechanic.

1 Like

Why blame the educational system?

Degree programs should provide a learning experience. It’s up to the students to take advantage of Career Services, where everything from counsel in job possibilities to resume writing skills workshops to mock interviews take place.

Should students not take advantage, whose fault is that?

I was curious about something, as a recent college grad yourself is there anything you wholeheartedly disagree with from the author in the OP regarding the key criticism’s she presented? (Particularly the one’s I highlighted.)

Before I consider the rest of your post, could you comment about if is there anything you wholeheartedly disagree with from the author in the OP regarding the key criticism’s she presented? (Particularly the one’s I highlighted.)

Don’t expect colleges and universities to DO anything for you. Seek out your interests, seek out individuals that matter to you and who value your interest and curiosity. They exist, but you also have to put in the effort. My degrees required work under knowledgeable mentors and professors. Nobody guaranteed me a job.

1 Like

transmission mechanics turn wrenches (among others)

[quote=“Jezcoe, post:49, topic:233683, full:true”]

You are aware that lecture is one of the most (if not the most) ineffective methods of teaching? Ironically that’s by and large what is still going on in our universities.

A lot of it has to do with perspective.

I can’t speak for the group defined as “recent college graduate” - because I am not representative of the group.

I must have misunderstood some of what you said in various posts. I got the impression that you recently graduated from college.

No, you understood correctly. I recieved my bachelor’s degree in 2016, and recieved my juris doctor a few months ago.

My point is, I am not representative of my class. I’m at least 10 years older, for starters.

1 Like