Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Capitol Hill staff and interns need "living wage"

Yeah. That’s a good point.

Good thing she didn’t take him up on his offer of a ride home after work.

When I hear ■■■■ like this I just want to say go out there and create your own company that makes a product people want and then pay all your employees as much as you want.

So does she advocate paying them all $174,000/year also?

My guess is that most Trump supporters on this board have meager salaries ($0-$80k) but still support a president and party who throw bread crumbs at them while trashing a person like this freshman politician who is actually trying to level the playing field for people JUST LIKE THEM.

It’s crazy.

5 Likes

Me too!

From the article in the OP:

“This is a disgrace. Congress of ALL places should raise MRAs so we can pay staff an actual DC living wage… It is unjust for Congress to budget a living wage for ourselves, yet rely on unpaid interns & underpaid overworked staff just bc Republicans want to make a statement about 'fiscal responsibility. If that’s the case, they can cut down on staff to pay them well. Or raise the MRA.”

Let’s make this basic for you.

Are unpaid interns part of a staff? Yes!
Did she say “so we can pay staff an actual DC living wage”? Yes!

You’re right, very straightforward.

Those interns should be paid. DC ain’t cheap, no matter how far out you take the metro.

Oh another Cortez thread. Looks like cons found their new boogeywoman

DC has become so expensive in the last fifteen years that practically the only kids who afford to intern on the hill are the children of the wealthy.

A per diem wouldn’t be a bad idea. You wouldn’t believe how hard they work.

I love the response of a rich white dude, former Congressman and Heritage toady that says the interns should just get some roommates and rent an apartment together if they want to work in Congress. You know, because if you divide the rent by 5 incomes of $0, it’ll be much more affordable. And because a landlord will totally rent to someone that doesn’t have an income that is a multiple of the rent. Or rent out a 1 bedroom apartment to 5 adults.

So out of touch.

1 Like

One would think that conservatives would agree that people should be paid for their labor.

This is why practically all the young people involved in politics at any level of actual influence are upper middle class bougie white kids in both parties.

Could you detail what policies she or any democrat has or will propose that will create or prompt an economic windfall for middle and lower class Americans? And what salary figures are we talking about?

Those congresspeople are a bunch of welfare queens. But instead of food stamps, they get dude tramps.

Rush just mentioned her.

Expect new discussion of this.

Republican lawmakers, not republican interns? Why is this so hard, people?

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly or should I say didn’t add enough to my answer. The MRA has gone up recently. It is however lower than it originally was before they cut it and has now gotten back up to just a little under $ .2M. I was trying to show that they are steadily increasing it.

Is the implication there? If you want to go that route, she said a lot of things then.

But she did not specifically argue directly that all interns should be paid.

She hasn’t even begun to figure out how she will pay her staff on her MRA. I want to see her budget when she does and how much she pays her staff. I’m betting she will have a harder time doing it than she thinks.

Not sure what your argument here is.

You say she might not be able to pay her staff, but she appears to be looking for more money so she can.

Am I missing something here?

She can if she wants to. I’m thinking once the reality of how many people she has to pay and how much it costs to run her new office, she will realize it’s not so easy. Following the general rule, 75% of her budget is going to be taken up by payroll and benefits.