Alaska snow crab season canceled as officials investigate disappearance of an estimated 1 billion crabs

That’s crazy…1 billion…

Who even eats that much crab? Always wondering that watching deadliest catch…where does it all go? Red Lobster?

And you’d have squid breath! :slight_smile:
is 8% of the seafood you eat from anywhere that list?
(Goldfish crackers don’t count.)

que sera sera

On Deadliest Catch they catch king crabs.

Snow crabs have gone missing.
Kinda like deer vs elk.

Same fleet, same companies, same people.

Deadliest Catch followed the fleet for both the King Crab seasons, and the Snow Crab (“opilio”) seasons.

1 Like

Thanks I did not know that.

Who eats that many of either one?

Actually They catch both just depends on season

1 Like

How many? They are talking about a billion missing not about them not catching a billion.

Depending on which article you read the sourdce does or does not include the following information:

Survey crafters determined the mature male snow crab population decreased by 22 percent from last year’s numbers, while mature female snow crab numbers fell by 33 percent. . . .
The survey also found that the number of juvenile male and female snow crabs has skyrocketed since last year, jumping by 138 percent and 3,902 percent respectively, which could mean that in time the species could recover.
Alaska cancels snow, king crab season over population concerns

Whatever is going on does not target juvenile crabs and targets females crabs more than makle crabs.

Diseases would be my guess.

Out here we have only about 50/60 percent of sparrows and other small song birds. Global warming? Or bird flu?

3 Likes

I always figured they were way over-fishing the Bering sea.

For those of us who served overseas during the GWoT, we ate like kings every surf and turf Friday. Included on the menu was all the Alaskan king crab you could eat (legs already cut in half for your gorging convenience), in every chow hall, on every base, in every country.

It was a delicious time.

3 Likes

Snow crab are also called “opilio” or “opie” and they DO showcase that species as well on Deadliest Catch.

I sepnt a short time (a year) working at sefood counter in an upscale supermarket/

Our real “Bering Sea Crab” came in Boxes of russian origin.

My point?
Environmental concerns are perhaps not wrong. They are perhaps not invalid, but a unilateral approach, a blame America approach, a blame corporations approach etc. might each be a recipe for failure.

I do miss gorging on ocean spiders. My personal record was about 4.5 lbs in one sitting.

1 Like

All over the world, the US is not the ONLY market.

They fish for King, Opie, and one other species. They also fish for cod and others. It is not JUST King

Fun fact: out of all the landlocked states in this country, Missouri eats by far the most seafood. Every podunk grocery store has crab/shrimp/lobster either fresh or frozen.

Tilapia is other, it’s not a fish species, it’s a catch all name for various edible white fish.

I remember reading there was a problem of illegal Russian crabs hitting the American market about decade or so ago.

Not sure they have anything to do with it. @Samm may/heard more about it.