Alaska snow crab season canceled as officials investigate disappearance of an estimated 1 billion crabs

In a major blow to America’s seafood industry, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has, for the first time in state history, canceled the winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea due to their falling numbers.

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population.

Prout said that there needs to be a relief program for fisherman, similar to programs for farmers who experience crop failure, or communities affected by hurricanes or flooding.

Should there be a relief program?

What should be done if the crabs never come back?

Now on a serious note…this is catastrophic and I can only imagine the damaging ripple effect of this.

I sure hope this gets figured out quickly and resolved.

1 Like

They cancelled it last year as well, numbers seem to rebounding.

from Alaska cancels snow, king crab season over population concerns

The survey also found that the number of juvenile male and female snow crabs has skyrocketed since last year, jumping by 138 percent and 3,902 percent respectively, which could mean that in time the species could recover.

1 Like

The resolution might be an unsatisfying one, where there’s just no more crab fishing if the crabs peace out.

A whole industry poof gone with only 2 years of warning.

It was America,
them and NATO.

Secret undersea operation.

2 Likes

I am an outdoors person and have always attempted to leave an area I’ve visited, better than how I found it. There are other animals in the ocean that will also be affected and this ripple is just getting started. If it isn’t fixed, it will mean a lot more than just not being able to order snow crab IMO.

Thanks for spotlighting this.

2 Likes

wow… not only did global warming cause all the polar bears to drown, all the crabs did too…

deadliest catch should be interesting this year

1 Like

Over all though, we are badly over fishing the ocean.

Japan had nothing to do with it …

Yes
but king crabs (deadliest catch)
are not snow crabs (a billion missing and season canceled)

There is a very significant size difference.
Still if snow crab season is canceled, snow crab buyers cannot buy snow crabs. The demand for king crabs will likely SKYROCKET.

That’s what I was thinking, although I haven’t seen the show in three or four years. Might get to watch them do home improvement projects this year

Marry her! :drum:

11 Likes

Find the cause first. They shifted gears from disease to climate change pretty damn quick in the article. I’d first revisit disease.

1 Like

If they never come back, there are other fishing industries the fishermen can make use of. I don’t see any cause for agriculture relief at this time, if ever.

“Did they run up north to get that colder water?” asked Gabriel Prout, whose Kodiak Island fishing business relies heavily on the snow crab population. “Did they completely cross the border?”

How long it take for stories that blame global warming and/or Vladimir Putin for the disappearing crabs?

Mmmm,
Maybe. Of hundreds (thousands??) of potentially market-able seafood species, each culture tends to eat a HUGE number of just 5 or so species.

In the US nearly 60% of our consumption is

• shrimp
  • salmon
  • canned tuna

Nearly 50% of our remaining consumption is

• tilapia,
  • pollock
  • American catfish and Asian catfish

Meanwhile

• crab of all species
  • scallops
  • cod
  • clams
  • conch
  • oysters
  • mussels
  • lobster
  • squid
  • chilean seabass
  • skate
  • swordfish
  • sardines
  • shark
  • trout
  • herring
  • mackerel
  • anchovies
    . . . . .and everything else combined total just 20%.

→ Eat something from the 3rd list. Please.<–

Fish farming or eating a broader array of species would go a long way toward solving the “problem.”

8% “other”… must be the whales and dolphins…

what kind of bait do you use to catch canned tuna?

Reax it again
8% other is everything on this list except
crab clams and cod

• crab of all species
  • scallops
  • cod
  • clams
  • conch
  • oysters
  • mussels
  • lobster
  • squid