Alabama GOP Candidate Rich Hobson Is Raffling Off An AR-15 & Says "Every Family" Should Own One

Domestic and feral hogs have different body types. Feral hogs are much heavier in the front end and lighter in the rear but if you go with chest girth and body length they come out fairly similar especially since muscle is denser than fat.

Give this a look.

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd26/5/walu26096.htm

Bet they can tear up a car real good with the impact to something that solid.

You guys should see what a cow does to a '66 mustang at 50mph.

And what it does to the owner. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

We had a national fright hauling company a few years back move their primary line of transit from Dallas to Lubbock adding over 150 miles to the trip just to avoid a 3 county area where on one singe highway they had totaled a dozen semis on hogs over about a six month period.

They had no choice, their insurance carrier was going to drop them and their drivers pretty well revolted refusing to drive that route.

They are an absolute pestilence, but damned tasty and very challenging and rewarding to hunt.

Between October and the end of March I killed over 80 this year in excess of 200lbs and I don’t even bother counting the little ones.

That was all in about a 10 sq/mi radius of my place just patrolling it morning and evenings making a loop around my property and my neighbor’s.

They tend to go right over since the Mustang rides so low. They can sure be hell on windshields!

I had a buddy hit a horse one night in a 78 Fort Pickup doing about eighty. It almost decapitated him, and sheared the cab off with the hood that acted like a blade cutting through it.

It literally scalped him too.

1 Like

Oh I bet! I almost hit a big mule one night who was standing crossways in the middle of a narrow country road.

Thankfully my brakes narrowly saved me from hitting it.

1 Like

WOW! I’m glad we don’t have hogs.

1 Like

the worst part about pigs is that they tend to be the same color as the pavement late at night.

You’ll be driving along half awake and your first clue is that the pavement seems to be moving like flowing water.

By then, if you’re going at highway speed it’s too late.

Hogs are the reason I had an AR custom built in .260 Remington. Pretty flat shooting to 400yds and with the right bullet will shoot right through the largest of boars if you hit them in the head/neck.

It was built purely as an instrument of Hog destruction and it’s very efficient.

:open_mouth: That’s crazy!

When we hit that cow, it’s head did go through the windshield and within an inch of the driver’s face, but the momentum threw it back in front of the car by the time everything stopped.

Weirdest night of my life. That guy was fit to be tied. He had put a lot of time and money into restoring that car.

You’re both lucky to have walked away. It must not have been full grown.

She was and she was close to bearing a calf. :frowning:

(The guy whose house it happened in front of called a butcher is the only reason I know that.)

Just like humans they can bear young long before reaching full growth.

Market cattle tend to be between 900-1250lbs. A large old cow or bull can double that depending on the breed.

I had Sembrah Bulls that would breed as early as 8 months at about 700lbs, but topped out at over 2,500. some of the cows would exceed 1,500lbs by the time they retired.

I also had a bunch of little registered Angus cows that would barely hit 1,000 at full growth so it depends a lot on breed.

From what I’ve read, many hog hunters swear by the .223, because it seems that hogs are very susceptible to hydrostatic shock, and per the hunters in the below article, a .223 (with the right ammunition) is a better choice than a shotgun with slugs or one of the old big/slow cartridges.

Interesting and informative, thanks.

I came across a herd of 22 this evening just before dark in the middle of my neighbor’s field.

There were eight over 100lbs.

Got out the AR and none of those over 100lbs made it out alive.

I did have to shoot two of them twice.

Big hogs can soak up a lot of lead and keep going.

There simply is no better platform for the job other than perhaps the M1A. It isn’t as flat shooting so I generally carry the .260 or .223 ARs.

The Mini 14 is also an excellent choice if you can find one in 6.5L or 6.8 SPC. Both are quite adequate out to about 300yds.

While they may sometimes be classified as a shotgun, when hunting elephants, slugs were used, not shot.

Yes, which doesn’t change anything. The Paradox guns are rifled to shoot slugs more accurately but are still used for bird hunting as well.

The whole point of their development was to allow the “English Gentleman” going to Africa to carry fewer guns on the trip.

Been a hell of a lot of elephants killed with 10 and 12 slugs.

I even saw a cape buff killed with a 20g Paradox gun.

He’s just exploiting. Bad optic. But good for trumpers and gun extremists.

When did supporting the constitution become “extremist”?