Addressing the elephant in the womb

Its like someone trued to convince people abortion was like murder…in an attempt to apron tug…

Change this sites name to glass houses…

1 Like

I’m talking about the value that were declared here for why the unborn are innocent vulnerable human beings who should protected.

I can make the case that so are many illegals who cross our borders.

But they would likely say that the person made the choice to cross the border and therefore arent innocent (which of course has nothing to do with the fact that they are human)

Freedom is a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ and sometimes its gonna offend you…

The case that … they are not valuable? (If I missed what you’re saying, correct me on it.)

That’s where the utilitarian pseudo-philosophy people are trying to apply to the unborn could lead to.

The pro-lifer would say, “Don’t kill them either.”

Except you havent described an alternative of how we should derive values. Youve only asserted your own values that you have. Thats what we were trying to discuss.

Was slavery driven underground? How much? And do people approve of this?

Nope.

I can make the case that this was an innocent, moral choice that we only now consider immoral because we (analagous to the mother in the abortion example) decided we had the power to decide which of the vulnerable foreigners (analagous to the unborn) was allowed to “come out the womb” into our country, and which weren’t.

The vulnerable foreigner in a poor country is just desperately doing what he can to survive…he has no say in the laws that were written to close off a survival option for him. That was made by people far more powerful than he.

I see. So its almost more of a question of “helplessness” not quite innocence?

Of course I have.

You’ve rejected it.

Nothing more to say about that.

The pro-lifer may very well be killing many of them by cutting off an avenue of survival because we have decided we value preserving our territorial integrity and preserving our standard of life rather than helping them.

Please provide a quote of you describing your philosophical position of how values are derived or please repeat. Not what values you currently have. Otherwise, youre again just making assertions.

You realize of course that I’m now going to be perceived as advocating for open borders.

I believe people will come to recognize that taking the lives of the unborn is equally cruel and fruitless.

Maybe even pro genocide

Early term abortion isnt remotely as cruel as a lifetime of slavery

Of course it was. We have slaves in this very country. Sex workers. Domestics. It’s illegal, and people get prosecuted for it.

By some measures we have as many slaves in this country today than we had at the peak of antebellum days.

All the same, I’m profoundly grateful that our forefathers made it illegal. And except for people who still use or peddle slaves today, our entire nation – both pro-lifers and abortion rights advocates – are equally grateful.

When I’ve actually not advocated a position at all.

Except that I enjoy teasing out assumptions being made with little to no data.

1 Like

Kind of a board brush you’re picking up there. I would prefer contraception to abortion.