Adderall Shortage Persists as Opioid Settlement Triggers Pharmacy Constraints

Now you can identify most generic cattle by their inability to look down and see their own feet. They can’t even control their own eating habits. What make you think they’ll ever be a threat to the Status Quo? :rofl:

2 Likes

Upper left corner … kid in a red shirt looking down (in shame?) … He has to be at least ten pounds overweight. :wink:

Being of that generation I hadn’t really thought about it at the time, but a few years ago my wife and I watched a Woodstock documentary and both of us were almost startled by the images of tens of thousands of lean young people (us) in 1969. The same age group today, by and large, present a completely different image.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re all fat, just like everyone from the 60’s and 70’s now are. Hardly any of them can see their own toes, much less their own gender centers. No wonder everyone is confused. :rofl:

1 Like

Not everyone … I still wear the same pants size that I did in 1965 and only weigh about 5 pounds more. Oh … and not only can I see my toes, I can still touch them without bending my knees. :wink:

1 Like

A boomicorn, eh? :rofl:

2 Likes

How about find answers that don’t involve opioids?

Opioids need to be the last option, not the primary treatment drug.

1 Like

It’s not ok to impose shortages of opioids on patients while we wait for those other answers.

There are people with chronic pain, for whom medication is the only option–and they cannot get the medicine they need. That is the first problem that needs to be solved before worrying about anything else.

1 Like

“They shouldn’t be playing God with people’s medications. And really, that’s what’s happening here,”

Real talk. That’s what this is. There’s an arrogance from the agency and from the oblivious voter who enables them.

By its own estimate, Ascent produces about 20% of the nation’s supply of generic ADHD medication. In its 12-year history, Ascent had never been accused of a regulatory violation or faced any sanctions, so it was surprised to learn on September 29 that DEA would not renew its production quota for ADHD drugs because it has doubts about the company’s record keeping.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t think 1/5th of a drug’s supply should be wiped out for alleged doubts about record keeping. Someone needs to remind the DEA that patients are important. The onus should be on the agency to work with this company–get things squared away without interrupting drug supply.

Simfa Rose [Pharmacy] came under scrutiny nearly three years ago when investigators saw it was filling an unusual number of high-dose, immediate release opioid prescriptions, often in combination with stimulants and muscle relaxants. Some of the prescriptions were paid for in cash.

As far the DEA is concerned, these were signs of “multiple red flags of abuse or diversion” that posed “an imminent danger” to public health. On May 2 of this year, DEA suspended the pharmacy’s license to dispense controlled substances, a move that severely impacts its ability to continue operating

“Their expert says you can’t fill immediate release opioids more than two times. If you are a cancer patient or someone on their deathbed, it doesn’t matter. It’s an unresolvable red flag if you give someone an immediate release opioid,” he said. “And the kicker is he doesn’t even look at what the patient’s diagnosis is. One of the patients was shot was shot in the back, the bullet is still lodged in there. The other one was wounded overseas in the Gulf War.”

I think medication shortages are a bigger imminent danger than any hypothetical “abuse and diversion”. That gunshot victim and that wounded guy from the Gulf war are way more important than an anonymous public. What is the DEA protecting that outweighs those two lives?

Let’s see…2,200 people in Cook County Illinois. In the year 2022. That is for starters.

Those are the deaths in one county in the US.

That is who the DEA is protecting.

Find better treatments.

All the overdoses in the country combined wouldn’t weigh evenly with one chronic pain patient suffering from a medication shortage. DEA has their priorities wrong.

Hmmm. Adderall is not an opioid, it is a stimulant. And restricting the amount allowed to be produced weighs equally on those who are using it legitimately and those who are not using it legitimately. It bothers those who want to use it but don’t need it a little, and tortures those who do needed it but can’t get it a lot.

1 Like

Adderall® (Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Sulfate Tablets)

1 Like

But I agree this admins FDA is out of control. They are removing NMN from the market for no reason. It’s the best anti-aging supplement you could buy and has been GRAS for almost 100 years.

BUt, you will vote for them no matter what…right?

1 Like

“FDA predicts that levels of medical need for schedule II opioids in the United States in calendar year 2024 will decline on average 7.9 percent from calendar year 2023 levels. These declines are expected to occur across a variety of schedule II opioids including fentanyl, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, oxycodone, and oxymorphone,” DEA said in a public notice published in the Federal Register.

It is outrageous to cut production when there are people who cannot get their pain medication.

At this point, I don’t believe it’s an extreme take to say the DEA needs to be abolished. Or cut in half as the compromise position.

The primary goal of the DEA in cutting the supply is to reduce the risk of diversion, abuse and overdose, but there is little evidence the policy is working or even needed. Prescription opioid use has been cut in half in recent years, but overdose deaths have grown to record levels, fueled primarily by illicit fentanyl and other street drugs.

Fears about patients selling or diverting their opioid medication also appear overblown, as the DEA estimates the diversion risk for hydrocodone at only 0.31% and 0.28% for oxycodone. That means for every pill that’s sold or stolen, about 300 pills are used by the patient they were intended for.

300 pills are used correctly for every abuse. That’s already good enough. What is actual end goal of this agency? 500 to 1? 1000 to 1? Or do they just get to increase enforcement forever?

The goal should be to reduce misuse, not to reduce total production which equally affects the abuser and the legitimate user.

1 Like

Go right above him and there’s a heavier set male in green looking down. He would be borderline…fat.

I agree. Why is the bureaucracy “planning” to control supply of anything.

2 Likes

I too am fine with the tweakers going without.

As far as the kids with actual ADHD, they are few and far between, and can be guided and mitigated without drugging them stupid.

5 Likes

Haha this guy!

It’s absolutely ridiculous. They’re actually trying to pass off physical therapy to relieve pain. That has to be one of the dumbest ideas I’ve ever seen implemented. But this is where we are.

1 Like