A Scenario for the End of Trump's Presidency?

https://www.alternet.org/robert-reich-end-near-trump

Robert Reich reports a conversation with a Republican Congressman who describes how mainstream Republican opposition to tariffs, isolationism and chaos will soon lead to President Trump being the first President to be removed from office by the Senate following impeachment.

I’d be curious if people find this plausible and, if you do, what scenarios should the President use to protect himself.

I know that Trump supporters will want to express their disapproval and Trump opponents will want to express their support… but please hold back from stating the obvious.

My questions are: Is this credible and what might happen next?

My H thinks he will make a deal with the Feds to resign if all charges are dropped.

I’m not even sure if the D’s in the House will impeach (why bother) but they will have tons of hearings, which we will all get to watch on TV. Personally, this is what I’m looking forward to the most.

He will still run for re-election because he can’t resign as he would be immediately indicted. But, he will lose and then immediately resign. Pence will serve out his term and pardon him.

Fortunately, he will be charged by NYS for crimes committed in the state (tax fraud, etc.) for which he cannot be pardoned.

So, he is basically screwed no matter what happens. :slight_smile:

Not only is trump the most incompetent president ever hes also the most scummy/corrupt

2 Likes

Not at all. 6 more years of Cool policies from a great president. :+1:

Resign after losing the election on November 2020?

Yes. The day after, imo

He is a criminal… you think that is great?

Anyway… I hope he doesn’t get impeached and he is far too stubborn to resign. Best case is he stays and is lame duck criminal

He would most likely avoid prosecution by immediately and permanently leaving the country after leaving office. There are many places he could go and live comfortably that have no extradition treaties with the United States.

Like Moscow

Vietnam, Cambodia or the Persian Gulf is more likely.

Following countries have no extradition treaty with the United States.

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, Mainland China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

Just as long as I don’t have to hear his voice or see his face, I’m fine if he flees the country.

Which of those has a trump tower?

1 Like

Unless the Democrats in the House are certain they have the votes to remove Trump in a Senate trial, impeachment would be an enormous political blunder. The Democrats who favor impeachment will be angry because it did not work and the Trump base will be highly energized.

In Watergate, it was not the Democrats who removed Nixon from office. The Republicans told him it was time to go, in a delegation led by Barry Goldwater. What Reich’s Republican informant is saying is that the Republicans are preparing for a similar move; only they know that unlike Nixon, Trump will not step down voluntarily.

Nancy Pelosi is a savvy political operator, which is why Republicans hate her (isn’t it frustrating that we’ve seen a run of Republican speakers not one nearly as effective as Pelosi). She knows that without Republican support, impeachment is a sucker’s game.

What I expect, rather than endless investigation is some very targeted efforts – two in fact.

1. The Democrats will demand Trump’s tax returns. That will go to the Supreme Court and it is well within the realm of possibility that John Roberts will provide the deciding vote forcing Trump to divulge. Will he? I don’t know.

2. Adam Schiff – and again isn’t it frustrating that the Republicans sent a fool like Darrell Issa up against such a savvy prosecutor – wants one record immediately. Donald Trump Jr. made a call immediately after the Trump Tower meeting with the Russians offering dirt on Hillary Clinton. The number he called was blacked out on the record Trump Jr. provided to the Judiciary Committee and when the Democrats asked for it, Issa said no. As Chairman, Schiff wants to whom Trump Jr. called… My guess is he was trying to get everyone a reservation at the Russian Baths downtown… nothing like a good schvitz after a discussion of adoption comrades

1 Like

Democrats need to wait for the Mueller report before even talking publicly about impeachment

1 Like

He owns a major resort in Dubai. He is all set and no extradition treaty.

How would he get there? Hmmm great season finally

Probably on his private jet or by commercial carrier.

There is no way the GOP doesn’t run someone else during the primary for next election.

I know what happened with Watergate. I lived through every minute of it.

I don’t see a group of R leaders doing what Goldwater did. They are too scared of the base.

I’m disagree with you on the number of hearings - there are just too many crimes for so few hearings. It will be a long process.

The good news is that the D’s can walk and chew gum at the same time so their agenda won’t have to take a back seat to the hearings.

America use to not have one with Mexico but then El Chapo came along.