A real discussion about health care

This is common. Conservatives are long on ideology until they experience something themselves or it affects them directly, then they turn into Bernie Bros.

3 Likes

The majority of health problems in this first world country are entirely avoidable. In other words, their own fault.

1 Like

Something does need to be done to reign in costs for catastrophic cases like the example given; just not across the board freebies for everyone.

1 Like

Why not?

ā€œfreeā€ annual check ups is one of the best things we can do. Catching illness early increases odd of survival and decreases cost of care.

So itā€™s not ā€œAmerica Firstā€, itā€™s ā€œMe firstā€.

6 Likes

Because if a cost isnā€™t involved, people will go to the ER for hangnails. It was like that in the military which had ā€œfreeā€ healthcare for all members and dependents.

Is that a problem that happens in countries with single payer?

Thatā€™s not a legitimate objection. Thatā€™s a grievance wrapped in an anecdote.

1 Like

Possibly. It just sounds to me like a windfall for Big Pharma. ā€œOh, look what I discovered during your check-up. No problem, here are some prescriptions for you to get filled the rest of your life.ā€
True preventative healthcare would be informing people about the causes of most metabolic issues that can easily be corrected with diet. Producers of junk food that the AMA and AHA label healthy will never allow it.

Iā€™m sure you have several approved studies that show it doesnā€™t so I wonā€™t bother.

I know when I go to my doctor he says ā€œeat and drink what you likeā€¦ just take this pillā€.

Happens all the time.

Okay.

1 Like

We have several systems across the world to see what actually happens under single payer.

I have never seen one where people get TOO much health care.

I know several obese people with diabetes type 2 whose doctors told them to eat whatever they like, they will just need to increase their insulin down the road. Of course, Iā€™m sure this has only ever occurred with the very few people I know that this applies to.

Sure.

Doctors are well known for following the guidelines of ā€œeat as much as you wantā€¦ donā€™t worry about the weightā€.

Seen it all the time.

I didnā€™t say ā€œeat as muchā€, I said ā€œeat whateverā€, meaning they can exist on grains and other ā– ā– ā– ā–  used to fatten livestock as long as they do it in moderation and increase their insulin periodically. Type 2 diabetics are told all the time to just eat ā€œhealthyā€ foods like cereals, breads, pasta, etc, and wonder why they canā€™t lose weight. Itā€™s easier to pop pills and believe the experts so whatever.

It is true that Big Pharma wins in this - but that is what we are going to get in a free market health care system. You canā€™t expect corps to act benevolently.

Junk foodā€¦also agree. Do away with sugar subsidies and most importantly raise the minimum wage so we are no longer subsidizing fast food corps work forces with our tax dollars. Let the bear the full cost of their work force. If that means a 64oz coke will cost 30 cents more, so be it. The porduct should reflect the true cost. Maybe people will slow down on the cheap govt. subsidized HFCS productsā€¦

2 Likes

lol.

My blood sugar was barely high and my doctor read me the riot act. And honestly, it was a blip. and she freaked out.

I donā€™t drink soda, donā€™t each much candy, and am fit and healthy weight.

My doc would show no mercy to someone with high blood sugar who didnā€™t live a healthy lifestyle.

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually great. Hopefully your doctor would advise an obese person with high blood sugar to eliminate sugar from the diet rather than prescribe insulin to lower it.