A devastating question to the Left and the NeverTrumpers

Almost like it’s a built defense against “its technically not illegal.”

1 Like

What trump is doing.

I would prefer that we investigate all elected officials and make sure they cant run while they are being investigated. That would work. We would still have the bureaucrats in power.

“What Trump is doing” is not a definition. It’s ludicrous that people call on impeachment for abuse of power, when they can’t even define what “abuse of power” means.

You want bureaucrats in power?!!

“Abuse of power” is one of those terms that define themselves.

Using official power towards illegitimate ends.

Mr. Thomson is likely to focus on the term “illegitimate” ends and again talk about criminal standards being required.

If I might suggest “illegitimate and/or unethical ends” would be more appropriate since impeachment is a political process not a criminal one.
…^^^^

1 Like

Defying congressional subpoenas would be one example… Withholding foreign from a country until a bogus investigation is launched would be another…

1 Like

Nope. Still not devastated.

4 Likes

Defying congressional subpoena’s is not a definition of “abuse of power”. If you can’t give a clear definition of " abuse of power" You have zero credibility in accusing someone of doing it.

Abuse of power is whatever the decides is abuse of power when forming articles of impeachment…

So, asking for two scoops of ice cream when everyone else gets one, is impeachable as an abuse of power. Yep. The Dems are going insane over not being able to find any real dirt on POTUS.

Well, in layman‘s terms, I guess it would be things like “soliciting the leader of a foreign country to provide oppo research on a political opponent” or “throwing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars of taxpayers’ money to your own failing business”.

So, Phaedrus, you can’t define "abuse of power. " How can you determine that a specific action is an abuse of power if you can’t give a comprehensive definition of abuse of power?

What are high crimes and misdemeanors, as specifically defined in the Constitution? Answer me that, and I’ll tell you whether they include “abuse of power”.

Are you under the impression that word mincing is somehow going to keep the president from being impeached? Impeachment is not subject to review by anyone…

Let me see if I can work myself up to devastated.

Trying … Trying … Trying …

Nope - sorry - can’t quite swing it…

3 Likes

I just spent 30 seconds being devastated… I’ll admit it was kind of forced and not really sincere but I think I put on a pretty good performance…

7 Likes

I got to the end of this thread. No real devastation. Bummer.

2 Likes

Crimes and misdemeanours against the Federal government, as opposed to against private citizens or state legislatures. That seems to have been the meaning of “high” in 1776. So, lying to the federal Congress and Senate under oath, even about sex or about tax targeting, or about CIA or FBI spying activities, would undermine the legitimate investigative authority of the state, making such behaviour against the state permissible for all citizens.