A 50 million dollar homeless plan proposed by Republicans in WA

When you’re estimating the cost of printed homes are you including the cost of infrastructure like running plumbing and sewage for an entire community? Because that is where a good chunk of the $55k price tag comes from

that’s great. I’d like to read more about that. It’s really the answer…

Yep.

This is great.

It is a noteworthy change from conservative ‘work for welfare’ ethos.

A lot of those costs are one time infrastructure expenses. The annual cost of this program will decrease with time.

Not at all.

Fitting out shipping containers would use traditional building methods and would provide far more jobs. Container houses can be relocated and assembled in any number of configurations.

3D printing uses specialized equipment and is, as of today, are little more than a gimmick. You still need to install all the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and extruded concrete walls make that difficult. You still need to construct a roof and building multi story units would not be nearly as easy as with containers.

3D printers require flat sites and aren’t suitable for slopes or hillsides. Containers can be lifted over obstacles and set anywhere a foundation can be built.

And also, container houses can be built far more quickly as the containers can be fitted out at the same time the foundations are built. All that’s left to do is set the container in place and connect the utilities.

This won’t pick up steam for conservatives in most situations. Only for those running/winning in urban areas where homelessness is typically a problem.

I’m fine either way… as long as we are working towards a solution… but let’s not get ahead of ourselves

There are bunch of problems with container houses. They aren’t as cheap and configurable as people make them out to be.

It would be better to recycle the metal and use that for building.

What’s a standard sized shipping container cost to manufacture as opposed to the same size structure made of wood? :thinking:

K…now…who will take care of the houses? Who will clean them? Who will disinfect them? This investment must be cared for and those there, unless something in their lives truly changes, will just create even more expense due to their mannerisms that got them into this in the first place.

I agree, containers are not ideal, but as a quick option they should be considered as one of the tools in our toolbox.

Also, I think the optics of “storing” homeless people in containers isn’t a good one.

1 Like

Putting a homeless guy in a home and saying, “Have fun!” is a recipe for a disaster.

There will also need to be full time staff.

And most of the government built homeless communities do have full time staffs

Used containers aren’t expensive, or at least they weren’t in the past.

Containers have a number of advantages. They are non combustible, relocatable, structurally able to be stacked 4 or more high. and are already weather tight.

They are poorly insulated, the stacking thing doesn’t work that great when it comes to housing, any cuts made into them like for windows or doors greatly effects the structural integrity, they would have to be cleaned to rid them of any potential toxic materials….

The list goes on.

There has been some use of converted containers for short term emergency housing… but again… those aren’t cheap.

I’ve converted a container or two into a usable building (underground though). They’re handy enough, but not really all that impressive. Cutting them to the specs of the project can be a pain in the ass. Insulation is another problem, as the more you want/need for your climate, the more space you’ll have to sacrifice.

I find them all to be too thin for my tastes as far as living goes, but they do make convenient wine cellars/shelters.

Containers need to be insulated in order to be used for houses, but high performance insulation will do the trick. Cutting windows and doors is not an issue, the entire side wall can be removed as long as the end frame and side wall track are left in place. And as with any existing structure, cleaning is always required.

Permanent houses have been made using containers. There are some amazing examples out there.

Oh, I just checked, used 40 foot standard containers can be had for about 2K.

I wouldn’t recommend burying a steel anything. You’re just asking for it to rust away.

That’s where the 6 mil and concrete come in. lol

That’s definitely cheaper than a lumber structure. Thank you.