A 50 million dollar homeless plan proposed by Republicans in WA

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thenewstribune.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/matt-driscoll/article263712638.html

Pierce County Executive Bruce Dammeier and other Republicans in county government to build a 20-acre, $50 million microhome village that would provide residence to roughly 200 to 300 people experiencing chronic homelessness in our community.

Draws its inspiration from a development outside of Austin, Texas. There, the Community First! village has been in operation since 2015 and houses more than 300 residents in small dwellings similar to mobile homes. Designed as traditional neighborhoods, there are health clinics, addiction-recovery services and employment opportunities, among other resources, on site. Essentially, it’s a new take on what’s often referred to as permanent supportive housing, specifically designed for people who are often hardest to serve and most difficult to get off of the street.

Using $22 million in American Rescue Plan Act funding and relying on philanthropic and other sources to cover the rest of the estimated $50 million price tag, Dammeier and company would like to construct a local version of the Austin experiment in unincorporated Pierce County.

Encouraging news. Amazing work by Mr. Dammeier. It’s a great idea and I want to see more of it.

How can we repeat this elsewhere? Is this just a fluke on the west coast, or is this plan palatable in other areas?

1 Like

The key to success will be ongoing support and security services.

2 Likes

Mississippi pretty much solved their homeless problem believe it or not. Of course they solved it by just giving people places to live without conditions. So don’t act surprised when cons work on the issue. Also have to remember like forty percent of homeless are veterans.

Giving people homes is the best way to solve the homeless problem.

It is good to see the GOP taking this step.

I support it.

2 Likes

Maybe you could go explain that to California.

1 Like

NIMBY people suck.

There is the same problem in Maine.

There was the same problem in Brooklyn.

They have plenty of industrial zoned space they could use.

That is being gobbled up by actual industry.

There was a fight not too long ago in my neighborhood about the building of high rise apartments for homeless families.

There was a NIMBY push against it.

Deblasio for all of his faults was willing to put housing in his own neighborhood. That doesn’t make me like him… just pointing it out.

We still have a huge homeless problem in NYC and a housing crises in Maine.

A lot of it is NIMBY nonsense.

This equates to $167,000.00 to $250,000.00 per person. Financially…again…it’s way too expensive and in the long run, will not work IMO.

Locally, I donate to a place that houses the homeless for the evening, feeds them breakfast in the morning and then they’re on their own until that evening. Again…I don’t know that a problem has been fixed but it’s been helped and done so in an affordable way for the long run.

We could print them tiny houses for a fraction of that, they have done pilot ones, fully furnished for under 10k a piece. Add another 10k for solar and no energy bills.

4 Likes

If local communities can let go of some residential codes to make a cleaner and safer option for homeless I am all for it.

Shipping containers would also be an option if safely heated or cooled as per local climate.

Access to community water and sanitary facilities is a must since this is the BIG problem with encampments.

Laws must allow people and property to be removed…forcibly if necessary… from under bridges and municipal land to a place like these.

It looks like a bunch of the cost is going to offering services to these people to help them get stable and rebuild their lives.

I know that it is popular…. But shipping containers are not great options for building material.

I wish them well and hope it works.

1 Like

How much for housing? But yes, the services also cost money, the trick is to get better results for less money then homelessness costs and it does cost. People steer clear of businesses when there are a lot of homeless in the vicinity.

Apparently there are some pretty good new drugs to treat alcoholism now.

They would get very hot in a sunny climate without good ventilation.

They only really good points are they are abundant and fireproof.

Printing in concrete is cheaper. Much better insulated. All you need is a mini split which are cheap these days.

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

These places also need located where the residents can panhandle.

They MUST panhandle. Placing these communities away from commuter traffic will make them not used.

Nah, give them a community art center, they can cobble together some art I am sure certain snobs would pay good money for.