6 dead in shooting at Christian school

I guess I just don’t buy the copycat theory. We’ve always had highly public murders, as you pointed out.

Not “sadly.”

I’m glad my right to bear arms is enshrined in the Bill of Rights.

My black ancestors often had that right denied to them in the Jim Crow South. And they were oppressed with no way to fight back.

I’ll never give what is mine up. Never again.

5 Likes

Listening to what this forensic psychologist said 14 years ago about school shootings it’s obvious the media didn’t take his advice. It all changed after columbine especially the coverage.

There were two of them… that’s social…

The Tennessee shooter already broke existing gun laws.

Short of banning all guns, another law wouldn’t have stopped her. (And many not even if all guns were banned, but I just speculate on that.)

Columbine was a bit unique , I believe. I remember the headlines and reports were just non-stop. It really jolted the society.

I can’t prove it but yeah, I do think that some future shooters thought this was their way to get their names into some headlines.

2 Likes

It may not be the cause for why they choose to go this route, but it certainly inspired their tactics.

Most mass shooters who are at least partially organized emulate Harris and Klebold’s methods and tactics for scoping the target school, infiltration tactics, and the massacre itself.

4 Likes

Social without the media.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/gun-ownership.html

https://www.vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf

4 Likes

No other nation has convinced 25% of their kids that pretending to be the opposite gender is the right thing to do either. :rofl:

7 Likes

Right. But they reinforced each other. That’s what social media does. It reinforces the drive.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree on tactics. If you’re going to do it, it makes sense to see how others did it. But the question for me is how do you decide to do it?

Not changing much.

That’s the complicated part of the situation.

Another thing, how many plan it out and then never act on it? Probably a lot more than we realize.

1 Like

Sounds familiar. :thinking:

3 Likes

Even “not changing much” breaks the correlation.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree social media reinforces harmful behavior, I’m just not convinced it’s the root of the problem.

1 Like

Well, I never talked about trends. As I recall, I’ve said we’ve had school shootings since 18th century.

If you want a fairer comparison, we should pick a society that has stricter gun laws than we do and compare their numbers with ours.

F.e. Japan where there’s almost no private gun ownership at all. How many school shootings do they have ?

Total number of guns in circulation has increased.

It doesn’t seem like the solution is more guns or more access to them. (Not saying you said this, but it is a fairly common talking point)

Oh i agree about it not being the root. You cannot blame an outside force as being the root automatically. It can be but it cannot be the only one

2 Likes