3D printed weapons

Give us your thoughts on the Defense Distributed’s appeal all the way to the Supreme Court… Justice Thomas delivered the denial…

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/17-190.html

Let’s get insanely stupid for a minute and say this crap works. That means I can make my own guns. Which means gun makers lose.

If Trump was in bed with gun makers, why would he let them lose?

Because you are clueless as to what this change was result of… this is a SYMPTOM of the larger change which will allow American firearms manufacturers to sell firearms with much fewer restrictions… This was BOUGHT and paid for by firearms manufacturers so they could open new markets in other countries…

Even the “liberal” defense news is has enough clue to figure it out…
Selling guns abroad could get easier, thanks to the Trump administration

Perhaps we should call this rule change the Trump Fast and Furious gun export regulation…

US firearms manufacturers are limited by the import/export laws of every country in which they wish to do business.

Correct. Any law or Court order that reads “prohibited from publishing * fill in the blank * “ is a First Amendment issue no matter what they are trying to keep from being published.

You are also correct about plans and/or recipes to build explosive devices … it is not illegal to make the plans available or to possess the plans. It is building and/or using the bombs where the line is crossed. Building guns, however, even without a serial number, is not illegal (under Federal law) unless you transport it across State lines. Those ARs with the printed lowers, are perfectly legal if you keep it in-State.

It’s an international agreement to regulate the international sale and distribution of military arms.

These are of course not military arms and under no circumstances should the DoS have exerted ITAR restrictions over the plans.

This was just one more attempt by the Obama Administration to hurt the gun industry.

1 Like

Now, for completely different reasons:

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/breaking-austin-man-center-printed-gun-debate-faces-sex-assault-charge/AnteUx5fI7LpNg6yg0Z1JN/

Well the guy is a perv then and need to do time,and he will lose all his gun privileges…which is ironic.

None of that changes the arguments over an overreaching government trying to ban things it has no jurisdiction over.

1 Like

I really just didn’t want to create a thread over the guy but wanted to put it out there.

Untraceable guns are a problem…

No gun is currently traceable.

Swing and miss.

pass a back ground…traceable

Lol… no. That’s not how that works. Not even close.

Buy a used gun… untraceable.

I personally wouldn’t buy a gun that came from a 3D printer - particularly if the person making it was doing so from a copied program on the internet.

I know when I’m dealing with reputable dealers that they have quality control measures such as test firing the gun before it leaves the factory to ensure it is operating correctly. Also, I know that they will handle any repairs through their warranty should I receive a gun and it needs repairs.

The specs for these guns have to be very precise or really really bad things can happen when you are loading, unloading, pulling the trigger, or cleaning. That’s a risk I’m not personally willing to take.

Agreed. Current 3d printed guns are only good for one or two shots. Without adding metal that’s all they will be good for. And I agree. That’s one or two shots more than I will ever shot through one, and I shoot a lot.

Currently is just sounds like a person is asking for a face full of plastic shards.

1 Like

What’s the problem? Are you under the impression that crimes are solved by tracing guns? Perhaps you watch too many TV crime shows.

Nope … it’s not.

Soliciting sex on the Internet from a site where all users (buyers and sellers) are supposed to be 18 or older is a misdemeanor. Just his bad luck that the girl lied about her age. I’m sure that because of this gun thing, they will come down on him as hard as possible.

If true, as alleged, the boy has sure screwed the pooch on this. He had to know that he life was under scrutiny.

Even more importantly, he had to know what he was doing was illegal.