3 d printed meat what the *****?

Well, I was never exactly go to get any eggs out of these capons. :smile:

1 Like

I go even more old fashioned and ā€œletā€ the coyotes get them. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Ugh.

1 Like

If thereā€™s one thing my Zonkey is good for, itā€™s stomping the living ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of small predators like that. Iā€™ve only ever had the pleasure of seeing it once, but that boy has about as much mercy as Cobra Kai. :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m agreeing with you. Iā€™d rather have the eggs than the chicken. And the eggs hatching from the chicken to make more chickens who make more eggs. At some point, ya gotta eat the chicken when you canā€™t eat all of the eggs.

1 Like

At some point the hens no longer lay eggs, and become dinner instead, but that is years down the road. They start decreasing their production and I have read they taper off as far as 6-7 years from when they start laying.

Since they are meant for laying and not necessarily meat production as some are, they arenā€™t going to be quite the same as a chicken bred and fed for meat. We (as my family) never had anything but laying hens and they were what met the chopping block at some point. Iā€™m not as picky as some people when it comes to this. Meat is meat in the end and waste not, want not. If you arenā€™t laying anymore Matilda, meet the frying pan. :rofl:

I would imagine at that point Matilda gets lots of narms. Personally, I think all chicken tastes like cardboard and it is the way you cook it that flavors it.

Very true.

Obviously for basic quality and quantity purposes, the breed is important.

But for taste, feeding is crucial, as is caponizing cockerels.

For my capons, as I said previously, they have had access to forage throughout their lives, in addition to regular feed. But even as young chicks they were supplanted with crickets and mealworms to a small extent. As adults, they get a significant amount of worms and invertebrates via foraging. Towards the end, they are getting whole feeder mice and live mealworms. And a mixture of milk cream with standard feed.

The result of all this will be a very large bird, with a layer of fat and a bit of marbling in the meat. The meat has a stronger more distinctive taste, without being outright gamey.

My layers, on the other hand, forage in addition to their regular feed. During foraging, they get a significant amount of worms and invertebrates. The result are distinctive orange and flavorful yolks. Since my layers are White Leghorns, even with their diet, they are useful for little more than stew or stock once they stop laying. I always keep separate meat birds, both hens and capons.

Sounds pretty intensive. However, I can see that the end results are worth it.

So, why would you want to invest in 3-D printed meat when the real thing is so much better?

1 Like

When I put on my agribusiness/industrialist hat, I am proceeding in an entirely different manner and for different purposes and reasons than I am for my own consumption.

1. Aggregate consumer demand. Both now and forecast for the medium and long future. Consumer demand dictates everything. For a business to survive and prosper, it must conform both to current demand and to effectively predict and adjust to future consumer demand. Future consumers are going to be driven increasingly by demands for a more efficient and less wasteful agriculture chain. Intensive ranching and feedlot operations for beef are not likely to fit into most future consumer preference. They are more likely to want and demand laboratory grown meat which is less resource intensive and less impactful on the climate.

Consumer demand has already significant change in the egg industry, as companies such as McDonaldā€™s, driven by their customers, have demanded more ethical chicken and egg raising operations and producers have responded.

1. Simple cost and efficiency considerations separate from consumer demand. Companies such as my own are going to improve and change processes over the next 20 to 30 years and more, simply out of competitive necessity. Certain ways of raising and producing food is cheaper and more competitive, particularly in light of consumer demand above.

Bugs, laboratory grown meat and 3-D meat and all the rest are not products of my own personal preference.

They will be the product of the confluence of producer necessity and consumer demand.

Waitā€¦you have a zonkey?!

Itā€™ll provide adequate enough nutrition, but itā€™s best boiled into stock with the scraps being fed to the dog, pig, etcā€¦

Yep, though not as striped as the pics youā€™ll find on google typically are. Heā€™s also great at showing me where the weak spots in the fence are.

Wow. How unique!

1 Like

Tenderizes too!

1 Like

images

Joe Biden is a Zonkey breeder, just ask him.