269-269 = 26-22 Trump

I thought you were talking about who to select as president.

Now do you REALLY think pelosi and the dem’s would really refuse to seat lawfully elected rupublican house members? ReallY? Have the dem’s sunk so low that they think that’s the ONLY way they can win? And if they don’t seat a lawfully elected house member, the Dem’s can’t just appolint any joe blow they want.

Why not? It’s within their power.

If we’ve learned anything from Republicans, it’s that if it’s within power, it should be exercised.

This little mental experiment about the constitutional exercise of an enumerated power seems to have touched some nerves.

Doesn’t have to be right or moral. Just constitutional

1 Like

I doubt they would. This is something that could get snatched up by the SC if it got too nasty. Ala BUSH/GORE.

It’s a political, not a judicial, thing. What LAW would the Supreme Court be litigating?

Just like BUSH/GORE… made up equal protection yada yada.

It would depend on how close to civil collapse things got but assume the nastiest of nasty tactics needed to be done and half the country (or more) was in uproar including state governments.

SC could decide to grab one of those vague top level clauses and end the crisis.

And they even said that the decision on that case was specifically proscribed from being used as precedent.

A court that has reiterated numerous times it’s unwillingness to step into political matters will have an interesting interest to make in this case, to have once again interceded on behalf of a Presidential candidate who will, in all likelihood, not have majority support.

I think Pelosi should push it.

Real Americans are tired of minority rule and Republicans are fast losing the consent of the governed.

being the judge of elections for the senate, after declaring every rep the winner they will have 66 seats

I am not up on how cute they would have to get to pull that off, but if it was in Garland range they might could get away with it.

As an aside I had read a suggested senate gambit regarding garland where there was a moment between the two senates when Schumer could have pulled all the wild cards out and confirmed garland.

I don’t remember the details and would just be repeating them anyway, but in the brief window of the transition he would have the majority and could pull some ridiculous trick. Obviously that was not attempted.

There be some loopholes in our constitution.

How do you get that count?

So essentially you want D’s to perform a coup. Nice. And remember, it started with Senator Reid.

You ain’t kidding. :flushed:

https://twitter.com/nbcpolitics/status/1319055190973161472?s=21

53 plus 13

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I want Dems to simply exercise powers that are enumerated to them under the Constitution.

If it’s Constitutional, it’s good. Right?

We’ve long since moved past right versus wrong. Or fair.

Then what would you call it when you don’t seat leaglly elected officials? You know the same one’s that would vote on the president? What they hell would you call it?

■■■■■■■■ you do. You want to be a punity whinny . . .

Not as intended. You know like a president nominating for an open position (as called for) and the senate giving advise (hearings) and possibly consent (vote).
your comparing apples to oranges and you ■■■■■■■ know it.

Whinny sniveling . . . waaaaaaaa

Just because they’ve won an election does not entitle them to a seat in congress. Just as being nominated by the President does not entitle one to a seat on the Supreme Court.

What Mitch McConnell did is as much a coup as this proposal.

You seem upset by it.

Again, it is an enumerated power. You seem upset.

I just want Democrats to be as willing to exercise their powers as Republicans is all.

One Senator is not advice and consent of the body, so your emotional appeal to intent is meaningless.

The odds the Dems flip four state delegations is almost nil

Flip two of 'em and let Nancy do the rest. Scalpel precision on which Republicans to deny seats to et voila, it’s all over.

I know you think that would be cool, but it wouldn’t be tolerated if she refused to seat duly elected Congresspeople.

There’s going the ante and there’s going completely outside the norm.

Oh and Powell v McCormack limits the Speaker’s power to only refuse to seat members who don’t meet the proper Constitutional requirements.

Pelosi can’t just use that power indiscriminately.

1 Like