2020 Tropical Weather Thread

like everything else in weather/climate this follows a cycle

idiots will believe it points to a democrat narrative

Here in New Orleans, we’ve had a couple come our way this year (at the same time!), but we dodged that bullet. Not Southwest Louisiana . . . they got hit big. But it doesn’t make the national news much. A new storm is bearing down on us again. Hope we miss the biggest part, but our schools may close down . . . I’m thinking Tuesday. That’s OK with me. I need time to catch up grading my lab reports. With kids and faculty wearing masks (which I agree with), with cleaning desks between classes, with a total monitoring of students at lunch and otherwise, with our new schedule with long block classes, both students and teachers are exhausted by the end of every day. I’ve been teaching science for 33 years, and as much as I like seeing my students live, this is a challenging moment. But lucky to have my job. It is my profession and I would not trade it for another job.

1 Like

Five named storms at one time.

And only one name on the regular list, Wilfred, left before we go to the Greek Alphabet for only the second time in history.

We are running well ahead of 2005 as far as the timeline goes.

The V Storm (Vince) formed on October 8th, while Vicky formed on September 14th.

The W Storm (Wilma) formed on October 17th, no W Storm yet this season.

Tropical Storm Alpha formed on October 23rd.

This is just what I wanted to know when I saw a headline about Sally.

Sally is a relatively minimal hurricane in regard to wind strength, but this will be a flooding event due to the very slow movement of the system.

Looking like it is going to make landfall near the mouth of the Perdido River which is the border between Florida and Alabama. Pensacola to the east will probably be harder hit than Mobile to the west.

Shame on our National Weather Service providing storm information. Our President would never incite panic like this.

1 Like

Later today, we may get only our second “W” storm in history, if Tropical Depression 22 intensifies as predicted.

In 2005, Wilma was named on October 17th. We could get Wilfred on September 18th, almost a full month earlier. After that, it is on to the Greek Alphabet.

Potential Tropical Storm Alpha is working its way across the Atlantic.

given the way 2020 is going i wonder what they do if they run out of greek letters…

1 Like

Wilfred just formed from the tropical wave that recently came off of Africa.

So Tropical Depression 22 would become Alpha if it forms today.

But in any event, we did get the “W” storm for only the second time in history and a month earlier than when Wilma formed in 2005.

Well ■■■■ me.

Subtropical Storm Alpha just formed off the coast of Portugal. :smile:

That was a twist I wasn’t expecting.

So we might have Beta today. :smile:

and we have beta

After a couple of quiet weeks, we now have Tropical Depression 25.

It could be Tropical Storm Gamma by late tonight or tomorrow.

In comparison, the 25th system of the 2005 season formed on October 15th. Tropical Storm Gamma from 2005 formed on November 13th.

So we are still running well ahead of 2005, which was the record season.

We got Tropical Storm Gamma earlier this evening.

Just four more named storms from breaking the record.

Gamma continues to meander.

We should have Delta by late tonight or early tomorrow. Delta could be an issue for the Gulf Coast.

Potential Tropical Cyclone 26 has been designated. Not quite enough organized convention to formally designate it as a Tropical Cyclone at this time, but shear is expected to decrease in a few hours and this could be designated Tropical Depression 26 or Tropical Storm Delta at any time. Models are in good convergence as to movement and intensity.

Now Tropical Storm Delta and headed for the Mississippi Delta. Forecast to be a Category 2 Hurricane at landfall.

Delta is now a hurricane and forecast to become a major hurricane. The forecast track remains consistent.

Gamma has degenerated to a remnant low.

Delta is now a Category 4 Major Hurricane.

The only saving grace is that the water is now a bit cooler along the northern Gulf Coast so it likely will weaken a bit before landfall, but should still make landfall as either a major hurricane or just below a major hurricane.