2020 Tropical Weather Thread

Well, bless us, the circulation center on this thing has FINALLY closed and we official have Tropical Storm Isaias. Winds at 50 miles per hour and not forecast to increase.

The forecast path, which previously shifted to the west, now has shifted significantly to the right, taking the storm up the east coast of Florida.

I think the fact that the circulation center finally closed may account for the dramatic shift, as the models are not really designed to calculate the movement of an open trough, but a low pressure center. We should get more consistency on the models going forward.

Latest model runs. Note that some models have not run in the last few hours and consequently do not show the movement to the east.

Didn’t take this thing long to defy every model and blow right up into a Hurricane. Currently 80 MPH winds.

The forecast track has actually remained steady, but the storm simply spun up very fast.

1 Like

The bathtub is ready.

Looks like this may actually go ashore between Miami and West Palm Beach, than skate up the Florida interior coastline, crossing back out to sea in North Brevard or Volusia Counties.

INIT 01/0300Z 23.3N 76.4W 70 KT 80 MPH
12H 01/1200Z 24.5N 77.8W 75 KT 85 MPH
24H 02/0000Z 25.9N 79.1W 75 KT 85 MPH
36H 02/1200Z 27.1N 80.0W 70 KT 80 MPH
48H 03/0000Z 28.5N 80.5W 65 KT 75 MPH
60H 03/1200Z 30.2N 80.5W 60 KT 70 MPH
72H 04/0000Z 33.1N 78.9W 60 KT 70 MPH
96H 05/0000Z 41.0N 72.5W 55 KT 65 MPH
120H 06/0000Z 47.5N 64.0W 45 KT 50 MPH…POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

Current model runs.

Then I stand corrected. I’m dodging liberal punches all the time. And most have no sense of humor.

Josephine and Kyle are wandering about the Atlantic.

We might repeat 2005 and have to resort to the Greek Alphabet. The six bolded names were used in 2005. If necessary, the Greek Alphabet would be used again and in the same order.

• Alpha
  • Beta
  • Gamma
  • Delta
  • Epsilon
  • Zeta
  • Eta
  • Theta
  • Iota
  • Kappa
  • Lambda
  • Mu
  • Nu
  • Xi
  • Omicron
  • Pi
  • Rho
  • Sigma
  • Tau
  • Upsilon
  • Phi
  • Chi
  • Psi
  • Omega

Long range forecasts for the two current invests.

The storm will landfall late tonight, possibly as a Category 5 as it is still intensifying. Coastal areas are already experience storm surge and tropical storm force winds.

Not too far away from the northern eye-wall making landfall.

This one is a true monster.

The northern eye-wall has just made landfall over the extreme southwest corner of Louisiana.

Its the left leading side of the cane where the storm surge impact the most.

Once its in the tropical storm phase, the leading right side is the “dirty side” with most of the wind and rain.

Many tv reporters such as Dan Rathers made their claim to fame reporting on site of hurricanes preliminary landing

Things are very busy in the Atlantic.

The system that just moved off Jacksonville, Florida is not likely to be a threat to the United States mainland.

The system that just passed the Lesser Antilles is expected to pose a threat to Central America and South Mexico.

Too early to determine if the two systems in the far east Atlantic will be a threat.

2020 remains a record season in the Atlantic.

Paulette which just formed is the earliest named “P” storm.

We also have our earliest 18th Depression which likely will soon become a named storm.

At this time, the numbers are 18 Depressions, 16 Storms, 5 Hurricanes, 1 Major Hurricane.

The remaining season names are:

• Rene
  • Sally
  • Teddy
  • Vicky
  • Wilfred

After that, we go to the Greek letter names that I previously posted. Tropical Depression 18 will likely become Tropical Storm Rene today.

At the moment, the only thing that is an imminent threat to the United States mainland is the disturbance just off the east coast of the United States, which will likely reach the Carolinas as a non tropical system. Paulette and 18/Rene will likely turn and head to the northern Atlantic.

It’s odd but living in SW Florida the majority of my life, I don’t get all that worked up over hurricanes. I’m more annoyed by power outages and disruptions.

My brother and sister have both lived for years in east central Florida along the coast. They would probably agree with you. No major wind damage from storms, it is the power failures that suck.

18 is now Rene.

Things remain extremely busy. Sally just formed and Teddy should soon form.

i dont recall ever seen 6 storms or possible storms at the same time

About as active a season as I have ever seen.

the record form snamed storms at the same time is 4. 40% chance we break it in the next 48 hours