2018 World Cup Megathread

I wasn’t even joking,this is why I am so dismissive of England,we have a couple of wins and the next thing is everybody believes we are going to win the thing.Usually we go into a tournament and the whole country convinces themselves its “our” year. They then get very angry when we inevitably lose.

I’m old enough not to swallow the ■■■■■■■■ myself,I’ve been disappointed too many times

1 Like

I [quote=“Tilly_jow, post:20, topic:4354, full:true”]
My personal opinion, a major problem with the English team is all its team come from the EPL. I believe they need a team with mix of players playing in the top teams of the top European leagues. There was one potential player in the Bundesliga, but he was left off the team. This is the downside of all the money in the EPL.
[/quote]

I agree and another big factor is the amount of foreign players the top clubs have in their teams,we aren’t bringing enough young players through

That’s common complaint of the Brits mostly without merit. All the big teams in the major leagues have foreign players.

Yes I agree all the big teams have foreign players but it is especially bad over here.Germany for instance still has the majority of players from Germany, Italy,Belgium France all have majority home grown players etc.We have teams here like Manchester City and Chelsea who regularly field sides with one or two British players,sometimes none.
I support a lower league club and I like what the foreign players have brought to our game but I feel sorry for the decent young English players who are missing out on first team football in the premiership because of it.
I think we need to find a balance between homegrown and imported players

Rooting for England and Belgium as the round of 16 begins. Both longshots I know, but I was initially hoping to see Iceland advance so clearly I have a thing for underdogs.

I’m with you on Belgium and/or Portugal. Since Germany is out, I’d like to see a new, first time winner. I think Croatia is coming out on top of the bottom bracket.

My final: Croatia-Belgium…although I could live with Portugal. :sunglasses:

It’s all about the money. And with the FFP it is going to get worse, the big clubs leaving the others behind.

There are just so many places on major clubs(clubs in the top half of the big 4 leagues). And players throughout the world are competing for those places.

In addition, the other, lesser, European leagues are always trying to prove they belong with the top four. :wink:

1 Like

Russia and Croatia move on; Spain and Denmark out.

Croatia(whom I’m supporting for the final) had a very sub-par second period.

And my other favorite team, Belgium, have just had 2 goal scored on them by JAPAN!

Unbelievable comeback by Belgium in 2nd period. Win 3-2 over Japan.

Damn, Belgium/Japan was crazy. Great game, hell of a tournament so far. But with both Spain and Mexico being out, I need someone new to root for. I seem to be bad luck, though, so maybe I won’t risk choosing someone else.

Get behind Belgium and Croatia final. A first time winner. :+1:

1 Like

I hate to say this because I can’t stand them, but France has the best team in this cup.
England probably has the easiest route to the finals. If Colombia doesn’t beat them, they’re in.
Russia will eliminate Croatia.

Now that Japan is out, I’m rooting for France. Go Mbappe!!

France have a good team. no doubt.

I hadn’t realized just how few winners there have actually been until I looked it up recently. I figured as long as the World Cup has taken place, more than a handful of teams would have won it. I had no idea Italy had been so historically dominant. So yeah, I can go with Belgium or Croatia. Tough games still to play, though.

Germany and Brazil have won nearly half the WC’s since WWll.

In pre-WWll Mussolini Italy let players with ‘‘Italian heritage’’ return to play for the mother country. A number of quality South American players payed for Italy.

That guy is ridiculous. His speed is off the charts and makes him the most dangerous player in this tournament. Not to mention being on an already talented team.

Belgium has a shot. All 4 of those teams in that bracket can make it. I’m hoping Uruguay, but my money is on France.

Croatia would be a great story but I see it as very unlikely they make it past England. I don’t think they’ll get past Russia. I’m rooting for Colombia but my money is on England.

France may have got some luck since Cavani looks questionable.

Croatia would be in better position if they had a killer striker. If they can just get England to penalty kicks. :wink:

I still believe Belgium can win it.

On no. England-Columbia are going to penalty kicks. This usually doesn’t end well for England.