1am search. warrant. Innocent woman dead

They should be charging whomever approved the no-knock raid in the first place.

1 Like

Looks like the guy they arrested was the detective who made the no-knock application in the first place, and apparently lied on some key info in the application:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/cop-who-lied-on-application-for-no-knock-warrant-that-resulted-in-breonna-taylor-s-death-is-arrested-and-charged-by-fbi/ar-AA10jfL8?cvid=dec232cc43e644a68e91744b8ed3ae0b

2 Likes

Ms completely innocent in the drug trade … but these midnight (or otherwise) no knock warrants are crap in general, just like civil asset forfeiture.

I’m pretty sure I posted something similar in the 800+ posts in this thread. But if not, I agree with you.

What’s a good point worth if it’s not worth repeating?

The wheels of justice grind slowly, but sometimes they do grind…

1 Like

Good. Those types of raids need to be almost 100% illegal.

I personally don’t care what anyone kicking down my door in the wee hours of the morning yell. They’re catching lead.

Because if I was a home invader you better believe I’d have a vest that said “POLICE” on it, and be shouting it.

2 Likes

I heard:
She living-in (harboring and hiding) her boyfriend who’s an armed violent drug dealer who fired on police. (Maybe she thought he was a piano teacher and part time social worker but I doubt it.)

I heard:
She was killed in the cross-fire that began when her boyfrined began firing on police.

Ethically:
It’s shame what happened to her She chose to live a dangerous life and to harbor billy-the-kid and died when the cheriff tried to arrest him. but I don’t think there was any racism involved.

Legally:
That’s why police departments are insured. The way our system works there has to be plenty of room for lawsuits in such cses, but charging the police with crimes sounds like a criminally wrong way to handle this.

At what point should/can they be charged?

In our society?
They can be charged as soon as the poltical winds are not in their favor.
We may have fought a war or tow to preserver “equal justice under law”
but today it depends

• are the cops white?
  • is the current poltical mood pro- or anti-cop?

Laws should not be like this. We should, and have, sent our armed forces to kill people who want our laws to be like this.

Which was a lie.

That needs to change. Individual responsibility

No, they are blue.

2 Likes

My point being (and I think we can all admit this)
The cops will or will not go to jail based on

• their skin color
  • the political mood at the time.

Are black/ Hispanic cops investigated or charged for mistreating, injuring or killing civilians?

I don’t mean to draw a conclusion so tell me if i am wrong in interpreting your post

Cops are only charged based on politics? Not based on their actions?

I am not sure I agree with the word “only,”
but in general sense, Yes I am arguing “selective prosecution” based on race an political mood.

Deep south 1950s, car accident causes fatalty: Was the surving driver black and what is the poltical mood, charge of do not charge accordingly.

Nazi Germany 1930s woman alleges sexual assault: Was the accused Jewish? A gypsy? Is the town strongly Nazi or only moderately so?

America today: Not much different.

Ok fair enough not only but primarily so then white cops are more likely to be charged over their actions?

No. America today is much more different than both of those examples. I mean it’s not even close.

No.

This is a huge part of the no-knock problem. An invader could simply do it the way that cops do it. If we pedestrian citizens are supposed to curl up and let the cops bust in when real cops do it, then invaders would benefit from that response behavior.

At the same time, @Gaius points out some of the factors that put Breonna in the cross-fire. I’m not condoning what happened, please understand that. And yes, it’s true that a HUGE amount of the problem rests on police department in the way this no-knock was requested and approved. Another no-knock case (can’t remember the details) in another thread ended up with a guy sleeping on the couch of a murder suspect ended up dead.

People try to argue that the guy sleeping with a gun doesn’t know what he has gotten himself into. It’s all circumstance. Well that’s a great intellectual exercise, but it’s more likely in my mind that people who insert themselves in such situations aren’t sleeping with the gun because they expect cops to barge in. They expect an enemy related to the situation of the friend/colleague/relative in whose home they are sleeping.

Play with fire, and you are likely to get burned.

All the same, the no-knocks are highly problematic.

Happened in Pittsburgh in 2008. FBI agent killed.

Korbe killed FBI Agent Sam Hicks on Nov. 19, 2008, as law officers raided her house to arrest her husband, Robert Korbe, a major cocaine dealer.

Hicks led a team in breaching the front door at 6 a.m. Christina Korbe shot him from the top of the stairs. She said she didn’t intend to kill him but fired to protect her children before she realized it was a police raid.

Hicks was 33 and had graduated in 1993 from Southmoreland High School in Westmoreland County. He left behind his wife, Brooke, and son Noah, who was 2 at the time of the shooting.

Christina Korbe had been sentenced to 15 years and 10 months in federal prison following her 2011 guilty plea to voluntary manslaughter.

She had tried to get released early, saying in 2020 that she suffered from COVID and that her family needed her.

The U.S. attorney’s office objected, as did the FBI Agents Association.

U.S. District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan denied her request.

The FBI Agents Association said Tuesday that it had worked to make sure she served her full term in honor of Hicks.

Didn’t know about the FBI AGENTS ASSOCIATION. Interesting.