Zumwalt-class destroyer USS Lyndon B. Johnson launched in Maine

The third and final Zumwalt-class destroyer, USS Lyndon B. Johnson (DDG-1002), was launched on December 9 from Bath Iron Works in Maine. It will fit out over the next two years, with commissioning expected in 2020 or 2021.

As with the other two members of its class, the United States Navy has absolutely NO ******* IDEA what they are going to do with the thing, particularly given the fact that its primary armament has been cancelled.

run it into Japanese fishing vessels

1 Like

I will miss seeing that wierd ship being built whenever I drive through Bath… but yeah… a boondoggle.

Since they are pretty much built, I would try to put some heavy weapons on them and re-designate them from Guided Missile Destroyers to Battle Cruisers.

Last Friday in San Diego,

Almost as cool as the 300 foot flyby by a pair of
F-16s when we were fishing the Cortes bank, those show offs! :sunglasses:

Couldn’t they remove the LRAP and replace it with another battery of Tomahawk launchers?

At least it would be useful then. It would be weird though since sticking as many cruise missiles on a vessel as physically possible is more of a Russian thing.

Yeah… that is what a reasonable person might do… but that won’t happen.

You are talking to someone who came from a family with three generations of people working in the Norfolk Naval Shipyard… so they have/had their opinions about the Yankee shipyards.

Bath is so tiny that I really don’t know why they thought that they could build such a ship there.

It looked like the perfect portrait of a Congressional pay off.

Is this the railgun ship?

Yes. Among other systems. :smile:

Looks like the USS Monitor refitted for the 21st century.

I don’t think it’s an attractive ship. I am sure my view is in the minority though. I understand it’s built that way for a reason but it looks like three boxes stacked on top of each other.

I don’t think attractiveness was one of the objectives.

IKEA could have designed her better.

It does look a bit better from the bow, but yeah…

The tumblehome design was necessary for stealth reasons. While the Zumwalt’s have been plagued with issues, they have excelled at stealth to this point.

Most of our early Battleships (coastal defense and pre-dreadnaught era) were of the tumblehome design. Above is the USS Connecticut. What ultimately killed tumblehome was the Russians finding out the hard way against Japan that if the water tight compartments were breached on a tumblehome ship, the ship became unstable very fast. Russia quickly lost 3 out of 4 of a brand new class of battleships against Japan.

Glad I’m not the only one, unless thats a touch of sarcasm I hear a hint of BlackWolf :wink:

I’m surprised they would have a USS Lyndon B Johnson.
Maybe we can look forward to a USS Richard M. Nixon.